New Museum MakerBot Challenge!
Showcasing the endless possibilities of the Thing-O-Matic, the New Museum MakerBot Challenge is open to the entire creative community. Embodying the New Museum’s mission of “New Art, New Ideas,” this interactive and experiential Challenge aims to push the concept of the “derivative,” by improving on or personalizing established design conventions. From the banal toothbrush to complex bicycle gears, how can 3D printing help to develop the world around us?
The winning design will be printed on a MakerBot Thing-O-Matic on display in the New Museum’s window. The winning designer will receive a New Museum Deluxe membership ($400 value), a MakerBot Thing-O-Matic® Kit ($1299 value), and a special invitation to the New Museum MakerBot Challenge launch party.
Five runner-ups will have their designs printed by MakerBot and sent to them.
How to enter
– If you are not already registered, sign up for an account at Thingiverse.com
– Upload your 3D files, and tag them with NewMuseumChallenge by October 31st, 2011
– In the description, write a statement about your design. What is the design a derivative of? How does it improve on or challenge existing design conventions?
– Designs may be one single part or multiple parts that are each smaller than 4 x 4 x 4 ¾ in (100 x 100 x 120 mm) and printable on a MakerBot Thing-O-Matic.
– Different parts can be made in white, yellow, orange, red, UV reactive red, UV reactive nuclear green, camping green, blue, black, and glow-in-the-dark.
– The design may require multiple builds, however no more than three builds are allowed.
– Designs may include other parts like screws or LEDs but keep in mind the jurors will be looking for designs that utilize 3D printing’s ability to empower everyone to download, print and use the design.
Who’s in the jury?
A team from both MakerBot and the New Museum will select the final designs. The jurors are looking for designs that utilize the unique ability of 3D printing to personalize and improve on the world around us.
And last, here are a few existing Thingiverse items that we think belong in this challenge:
Error - could not find Thing 8945.
Error - could not find Thing 10496.
Error - could not find Thing 10423.
Error - could not find Thing 10077.
Error - could not find Thing 6957.