Hotrod your Cupcake
We’ve been getting lots of questions about ways to improve cupcakes to make them as close to a Thing-O-Matic as possible. If you’ve got a MakerBot Automated Build Platform and MakerBot MK5 Plastruder you’re almost there. When we get our shipment of MakerBot Gen4 Electronics (We’ve been working on these for a looooong time) then you can add that to your cupcake and you’re very close to the MakerBot Thing-O-Matic. The only thing I would add to that setup to have the greatest cupcake of all time would be a MakerBot Filament Spindle Box, lots of reliable MakerBot ABS Plastic, and an LED Lighting strip
The last piece of technology that would really be left is to switch out the Z-Rods and install a cantilevered Z-stage. Plans have already emerged on Thingiverse for that, but would be an expensive upgrade as the motor for the Z-stage has a super fancy integrated threaded rod and there are the fancy bearings on it too.
So in summary, if I were going to buy the awesomest MakerBot Cupcake 3D Printer setup ever with what’s available right now and I was feeling impatient or I was on a budget and couldn’t buy a Thing-O-Matic, I would get:
- The MakerBot Cupcake Ultimate (Includes tools and MakerBot MK5 Plastruder and MakerBot Automated Build Platform and MakerBot Relay Kit)
- The MakerBot Filament Spindle
- The MakerBot Rainbow Plastic Pack
- The MakerBot Glow in the Dark ABS Plastic
- A MakerBot LED lighting strip (I like the blue, but that’s just my personal choice, the other colors look awesome too)
Update: I got a note from MakerBlock asking about homing and endstops. When we release the Gen4 electronics, the endstops and the Gen4 electronics could get added to this list!
Photo by Ape Fight