Terms of Service
Your MakerCare Service Plan for the MakerBot Replicator 2X Desktop 3D Printer (the “Product”) is governed by these Terms and Conditions (the “Terms”) and constitutes the service contract (the “Contract”) between MakerBot Industries, LLC (“MakerBot”) and you (“Customer”). The MakerCare Protection Plan (“MakerCare” or the “Plan”) is additional to the coverage provided by the limited warranty provided by MakerBot for defective parts.
1. Contract Term
a. MakerCare is only available at the time of purchase or within sixty (60) days of the date of delivery (“Purchase Period”)*. Customers can select a MakerCare coverage period of one (1) year or extend their current coverage period for an additional one (1) year period (“Coverage Period”) from the delivery date or retail store purchase date as shown on Customer’s shipping confirmation or receipt, respectively. Customer may not change Coverage Period after the Purchase Period. Customers who elect to purchase MakerCare through MakerBot customer financing must have a Coverage Period that matches their lease term. Customers may not change their Coverage Period after purchase nor renew the Plan at the end of the Coverage Period.
b. At time of shipment, the serial number of your Product is registered with its associated MakerCare service plan number and covers only that one (1) Product.
c. The Plan may not be resold and is non-transferable and non-refundable, unless Product is returned in accordance with the 30 day Return Policy outlined in the MakerBot Terms of Service, in which case the cost of the Plan is refundable.
d. The Plan is only available in the 50 United States, plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the United States Virgin Islands**.
a. Scope. The Plan provides unlimited Live Chat, email, and phone support from MakerBot Support (“Support”) as well as replacement parts and return shipping due to normal wear and tear and accidental damage during the Coverage Period, subject to the following limitations:
i. Customers will only be covered for up to four (4) incidents under the Plan per year in a Coverage Period. An “incident” means that a Customer either receives (a) a replacement part from MakerBot or (b) mail-in, physical service on a Product performed by MakerBot.
ii. Accidental damage only includes a dropped build plate (preventing the Customer from printing), a nicked build plate from print removal (preventing the Customer from printing), and a misaligned gantry from the initial shipping of Product from MakerBot to Customer.
iii. The Plan will cover the following non-consumable parts: motherboards, smart extruders, LCD displays and user interface components (buttons and dials), touch pads, power supplies, cables and wire harnesses, motors and mechanical components.
b. Exclusions and Limitations. The Plan does not cover the following consumable parts: filament, MakerBot Replicator 2X Acrylic Build Surface, including those parts used in troubleshooting, SD card, blue surface tape. The Plan does not cover damage due to accident, abuse, neglect or misuse, extreme environment, extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, acts of God or other external causes. The Plan does not cover a Product with an altered or removed serial number, or a lost or stolen Product. The Plan does not cover damage resulting from hardware, software, or firmware modifications to the Product.
3. Obtaining Service
a. The original purchaser of the Product and Plan may initiate contact with MakerBot Support (“Support”) via Live Chat, a phone call, or submit a support case online to: https://www.makerbot.com/support/select .
b. Support Hours of Operation: 9:00AM to 8:00PM EST Monday-Friday. Hours of operation are subject to change.
c. Support determines course of action. The decision to issue replacement parts or have Product or parts of Product returned for servicing is at Support’s discretion. If replacement parts are deemed necessary, Support will coordinate shipment to you. If replacement parts are deemed unnecessary by Support, Customer may purchase a replacement part at a cost. For service requiring return of Product or parts of Product, Support will issue a Return Merchandise Authorization (“RMA”) Number to Customer. Unauthorized returns will not be accepted under any circumstances. MakerBot will cover shipping both ways, but Support will choose and pay for method of return shipment to Customer. If Customer requests expedited shipping, it will be arranged by MakerBot at an additional fee to be pre-paid by Customer.
5. DISCLAIMERS. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY APPLICABLE LAW, WE HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE PRODUCTS LISTED BY OR PURCHASED FROM MAKERBOT AND THE SERVICES PROVIDED HEREUNDER.
6. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, NEITHER MakerBot NOR ITS SUPPLIERS shall be responsible or liable with respect to any subject matter of this Agreement or terms or conditions related thereto under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other theory FOR (a) loss or inaccuracy of data or cost of procurement of substitute goods, services or technology, or (b) any indirect, incidental or consequential damages including, but not limited to loss of revenues and loss of profits. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, MakerBot’s aggregate cumulative liability hereunder shall NOT exceed the greater of fifty dollars ($50.00) or the amount paid by YOU for the PRODUCT That caused such damage. Certain states and/or jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties or limitation of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the exclusions set forth above may not apply to YOU.
7. Severability. In the event that any of the provisions of this Contract shall be held by a court or other tribunal of competent jurisdiction to be unenforceable, the remaining portions of this Contract shall remain in full force and effect, provided that in such event the parties agree to negotiate in good faith substitute enforceable provisions which most nearly effect the parties’ intent in entering into this Contract.
8. Choice of Law; Jurisdiction. This Contract shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, U.S.A., without regard to the choice-of-law principles thereof that would result in the application of the laws of a State other than New York. Any dispute between the parties arising under or relating to this Contract shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York state or the State courts sitting in the Borough of Manhattan, City of New York. A printed version of these Terms will be admissible in judicial and administrative proceedings based upon or relating to these Terms to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form.
MAKERBOT, THE REPLICATOR and MAKERCARE are trademarks or registered marks of MakerBot Industries, LLC. All rights reserved.
* In its sole discretion, MakerBot may offer special promotions from time to time that may extend the Purchase Period.
** Pricing for MakerCare may vary based on location due to shipping and operational costs. Residents of the United States Virgin Islands must purchase MakerCare by placing an order over the phone with our Sales Team.