MakerBot Hero: Car Keys (Part II)
The last post covered my decision to remake/repair my mother’s car key. Frankly, I’m surprised I haven’t been fired from this job for not having fixed this problem immediately. In my defense, from the moment I learned of this issue I dropped everything to begin working on it.
A critical step to printing a replacement part is measuring your existing parts to make sure the replacement components will fit well. I find the easiest way to start doing this is to simply trace the existing parts on a white sheet of paper. Once this has been completed, I flesh out the “sketch” a little and draw in all of the measurements.
Once the measurements have been taken down and associated with the relevant areas on the existing parts, I like to create a digital representation of these parts. Doing so allows me to use those existing components as a basis for developing the replacement parts. With printing tolerances, a little ooze, and some very minor Z axis wobble I find that 0.5mm – 1.0mm room on all sides is sufficient to develop parts that print and fit together nicely.
Posts in this series: