Scotty is the engineer on the first Star Trek series. Friday afternoon I was chatting with a friend about what it means to be the kind of person, like Scotty, who fixes things. These are the rules we arrived at:1
- Scotty Rule #1: Telling people it’s impossible, and then doing it anyhow is always a good idea.
- Scotty Rule #2: You’re the only one who can wear a red shirt and survive.
- Scotty Rule #3: People appreciate fixes more when you speak with a Scottish accent.2
- Scotty Rule #4: You can always tweak the tolerances to +/-5%. The warp drive will always give you just a little more even when you say, “I’ve given it all I’ve got”. She’ll hold.
- Scotty Rule #5: Real engineers don’t work in cubicles.3
- Scotty Rule #6: You only absolutely need to get the job done enough to rescue everyone and fly home.
|Tagged with||mr scott, scotty, scotty rules||5 comments|