Over the weekend I was experimenting with really really fast feedrates for my Thing-O-Matic. 1 What I discovered was that if I start even a complex object off very slowly, I could run the Thing-O-Matic pretty darn fast. 2 The tricky bit was getting that first layer to print slowly enough.3
After some poking and prodding in Skeinforge, I found the settings here:
- Raft -> Object First Layer -> Object First Layer Feed Rate Infill Multiplier (ratio)
- Raft -> Object First Layer -> Object First Layer Feed Rate Perimeter Multiplier (ratio)
- Raft -> Object First Layer -> Object First Layer Flow Rate Multiplier (ratio)
I set each of these settings to the same value. However, my target range was between 10 and 15mm/s. So, I look the Feedrate from the Speed settings, and discovered that I would have to reduce my Feedrate to 30% of it’s normal speed in order to get within that range. Thus, I entered 0.3 in each of the above settings.
The result was an almost agonizingly slow first layer – but a print that adhered well to the heated build platform, did not deform as the infill was applied, and provided an excellent base layer for the rest of the print. 4
|Tagged with||base layer, calibration, feedrate, flowrate, jakob e, object first layer, print-o-matic, profilemaker, raft, skeinforge, snail||11 comments|