Announcement | MakerBot Academy and America’s Classrooms

Academy_BlogHeader2

We’re proud to announce MakerBot Academy, an educational mission to put a MakerBot® Desktop 3D Printer in every school in the United States of America.

The first MakerBot Academy initiative includes 3D printing bundles for classrooms, an awesome Thingiverse Challenge, and generous support from individuals and organizations.

What You Can Do

1. Get the word out. Tell the teachers you know to register at DonorsChoose.org.

2. Support a school. Contribute to the effort by choosing a teacher; help get them set for the Next Industrial Revolution.

3. Participate in the Thingiverse Challenge. Develop models that teachers can use to improve Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) education.

Responding to a Presidential Call to Action
At this year’s State Of The Union address, President Obama announced a new initiative to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US. He affirmed, “3D printing has the potential to revolutionize the way we make almost everything. The next industrial revolution in manufacturing will happen in America.”

We’re inspired by the President’s commitment to keep America at the forefront of the Next Industrial Revolution and we’re eager to do our part to educate the next generation of innovative makers who will keep our economy strong.

Let’s Get MakerBot Desktop 3D Printers into American Schools
Together with America Makes, and by leveraging the crowdfunding power of DonorsChoose.org, we’re launching our first MakerBot Academy initiative:  Get thousands of MakerBot® Replicator® 2 Desktop 3D Printers into K-12 public school classrooms across the country — by December 31, 2013!

Help a Public School Teacher Today >

Academy_BlogImage2

Here’s How We’ll Do It

1. Public School Teachers. Full-time public school teachers can register on DonorsChoose.org and post a project request for a MakerBot Academy bundle, an ideal tool for a relevant STEM curriculum.

2. MakerBot Academy Bundle. Each bundle contains a MakerBot Replicator 2, three spools of MakerBot® PLA Filament, and a full year of the MakerBot MakerCare™ Protection Plan.

3. Generous Support. Parents, community leaders, and organizations: Browse DonorsChoose.org and give any amount to the MakerBot Academy project request that most inspires you. Consider a tax-deductible contribution to help multiple schools in your community – or nationwide!

Add in a Thingiverse Challenge
One of the most requested items by math teachers are math manipulatives—tangible objects that help students develop conceptual understandings of math concepts. So as part of this current MakerBot Academy initiative, we’re launching a Thingiverse design challenge to create math manipulatives for teachers to download and 3D print with their eager students.

Enter the Math Manipulatives Challenge >

• Steve Poppe
    November 14, 2013 at 10:07 am

3D printers in classrooms will be the greatest STEM achievement catalyst of all time. Talk about modeling in the classroom??? Try that with a MOOC.

• H. White
    November 16, 2013 at 12:27 pm

This technology is so amazing. It will make a tremendous impact in the lives of so many children. It is impossible to even quantify how much this type of experience will change the future for all of us. I am a teacher, and my imagination was immediately set ablaze when I saw on November 13 that you would be providing an extremely generous grant boost (Almost Home) through DonorsChoose. I know my students will be able to create objects that I would never ever be able to conceive of with this type of catalyst. I posted a project the next day and it posted this morning. Sadly, this was 2 hours after the Almost Home offer disappeared. We all appreciate your extreme generosity. Please consider extending the funding of this philanthropic venture to afford more students the opportunity to experience this revolutionary technology.

• Danny Clarke
    December 12, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I proposed a 3DPi curriculum to the head of the Workforce Development program at the community college where I teach math. His response was that the school does not have the budget to implement the curriculum. Now I can show him the offer from MakerBot and see if I can make any progress.

Btw, the curriculum consists of a sequence of 3DP courses: scanning, modeling, printing and setting up a 3DP business. Any takers? If not, I will do it as part of my company’s (Clarke Technologies) offerings.

• Amy
    December 31, 2013 at 11:50 am

I understand the funds that were available through the Donors Choose intiative are used up. Are there plans to have more available or should I take down my request? Thanks!

• 3 storie per spiegare perché si fa presto a dire: "Ci dovrebbero pensare le istituzioni ..." - SchoolRaising
    January 7, 2014 at 9:43 am

[…] progetto nasce come risposta ad un appello di Obama che a sua volta riprende esplicitamente un famoso discorso di un suo […]

• Heather Gayton
    January 25, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I received my 3D printer bundle right before Christmas Break and my 3rd grade students are loving being able to design something and see it printed. They are learning so much about design, dimensions, 2D to 3D concepts, problem solving…the list could go on! Thank you MakerBot for helping to fund this through Donor’s Choose!

• Nancy Casona-Castro
    March 18, 2014 at 8:01 pm

This is the first I’m hearing of this. Can this also work for private schools who have a FIRST Robotics team?

• Cecile Tirado
    March 23, 2014 at 12:28 pm

My son is making a scientific fair proyect of the 3d printer. He is on the 9th grade on Saint Francis school on Puerto Rico.

• Richard Seaver
    March 26, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I can’t believe we missed this! If you do this again in the future I hope we can pick up on it!

• Pat W
    November 19, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Please contact me if you offer this program again!! I am EAGER to get a 3-D printer in my classroom!!!

All products in your cart at the time of purchase will qualify for the special financing promotion if purchased with Dell Preferred Account between 11-26-2014 through 12/30/2014.