MakerBot MakerWare 2.3 | Release

MBMakerWare

MakerBot® MakerWare™ is the ideal software to drive your MakerBot® Replicator® 3D Printer. Today’s 2.3 release has great features for everyone, but is a giant leap forward for our MakerBot® Replicator® 2X Experimental 3D Printer owners. We’ve innovated, worked hard, and pushed the limits of dual extrusion. Now we’re ready for you to experience our new Advanced Dual Extrusion algorithm and see why printing with the MakerBotReplicator 2X will never be the same.

We’ve also doubled the amount of materials in our filament lineup and added a Print Preview feature for all our printers. The takeaway: This significant update contains really helpful features that will make desktop 3D printing even easier and more enjoyable.

Download MakerBot MakerWare 2.3

Advanced Dual Extrusion
We’ve completely reimagined the way that MakerWare handles dual extrusion printing. Want better control over your 3D printing workflow and major improvements to the quality of your prints? Then you don’t want to miss what comes next.

For the first time, the MakerBot Replicator 2X will be able to print with color-matched rafts and color-matched support material. That means rafts and supports will print in multiple colors, creating cleaner, more consistent surfaces on your multicolored prints.

Protect your dual extrusion prints with Extrusion Guards, ultrathin barriers that wrap around the perimeter of your prints. These guards clean excess filament off of your extruder, reducing nozzle clogging and improving performance.

Share your Advanced Dual Extrusion success stories by emailing ADX@MakerBot.com

cupcakeMultimaterial Options
New options in MakerWare 2.3 enable multimaterial usage on both of our MakerBot Replicator 3D Printers. You can stretch the limits of 3D printing with MakerBot® Flexible Filament for the MakerBot® Replicator® 2 and print detailed internal structures with MakerBot® Dissolvable Filament for the MakerBot Replicator 2X. There are custom profiles for both new members of our filament family in MakerWare 2.3. Read about how to create and edit Custom Profiles here.

Print Preview
Print Preview lets you see into the future. Now you don’t have to wait for an object to print to discover what it will look like when it’s done. Test out color possibilities, or explore your preview layer-by-layer. View time and materials estimates that tell you how much you’ll need of both to print your creation. You can even visualize extruder toolpaths to see where support will be applied and how infill patterns will look.

Download MakerBot MakerWare 2.3

MakerBot® MakerWare RELEASE NOTES

• New MakerBot Slicer Features:
    • Advanced Dual-Extrusion
      • Dual Extrusion Support Material
      • Dual Extrusion Rafts
      • Dual Extrusion Bridging
      • New Extrusion Guards for Dual-Extrusion prints
      • Control over which toolhead prints Rafts and Support
    • Multimaterial Printing using MakerBot Dissolvable Filament
    • A MakerBot Flexible Filament option for the Replicator 2
  • UI Changes
    • “Lay Flat” button
    • Objects too large for the build volume result in an alert and the option to resize the object
    • Orthographic projection skybox option
    • Print Preview
      • Toolpath Visualization
      • Material Estimation
      • Print Time Estimation
  • Conveyor Changes
    • Conveyor no longer uses PID files or the Python virtualenv
  • Changes in Firmware 7.5
    • Bug fix related to Heat Hold
    • Other minor bug fixes
  • Windows XP users should continue to use 2.2.2. MakerWare will not support this operating system going forward.

UPDATE: MakerWare 2.3.1 is now available with the following changes:

• A fix for graphics display failures on the latest Nvidia driver.
  • A fix for objects sometimes appearing black in Print Preview.

UPDATE: MakerWare 2.3.2 is now available with the following changes:

• Digitizer Firmware update
  • Conveyor performance optimization
  • Few minor slicer changes regarding temperature, rafts and bridging

• palenoue
    September 30, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Nice, but still nothing on user-defined supports? I’ve had many prints with _way_ too much support, even on things that didn’t need them and printed fine without supports. There have also been several times where I just needed a small amount of supports in specific locations but the auto-support configure put them everywhere or from the floor up along the sides to reach the small spot.

• Arjun
    September 30, 2013 at 7:00 pm

This Extrusion Guard idea is genius!!

Just last night, I was explaining to a friend why my dualstrusion print was a little messy, so this new technique is right on time!

One question: wouldn’t it help to have the unused nozzle’s stepper motor retract the filament in when switching nozzles?

Since dualstrusion gets messy because plastic can leak out the unused nozzle, can’t the stepper motor simply go in “reverse” so it sucks some of the plastic back into the nozzle to prevent leaking?

• CornGolem
    September 30, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Most of the stuff we’ve been waiting for. Cool.

• Thomas Jackson
    September 30, 2013 at 7:38 pm

OMG this changes everything! Literally was just discussing a new piece for a client that needed some of these features! He will be so happy that we can do some of these things. I love our 2X’s but have felt underwhelmed with how to use them via the software. This is exactly what I was looking for! Keep pushing the envelope Makerbot…

P.S. this also fixed my Makerware Mac install issues! I can finally run Makerware natively… I’m so excited.

• Russ
    September 30, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I was very excited to get the email about 2.3. Ah but then I got the bad news, it only works with System7 or newer. I understand that techonolgy is a moving target but I have shop full of equipment that will not work with the newer systems due to a lack of drivers. So I am stuck with running 2.2. I hope that this is not the case with the new Digitizer as I have one on order and have been waiting to get to work with it. Russ

• khecker
    September 30, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Okay, this sounds great. So is MakerWare no longer labeled as “beta”?

One thing I asked for a couple months ago (while waiting for my Replicator 2X) was the ability in MakerWare to have PVA (which I take it is what MakerBot Dissolvable Filament is) loaded on one extruder, and specify that to be used for supports. I was told that wasn’t going to happen. Is that what HAS happened when you say we have new control over which extruder creates the support structures?

• Jason
    October 1, 2013 at 12:12 am

Doesnt work with current nvidia drivers, screen comes up blank, please make the older version of makerware available for download until you fix it.

• Marius
    October 1, 2013 at 1:23 am

Will it also support Dual Extrusion with the Makerbot Replicator 1?

• Valery
    October 1, 2013 at 2:56 am

Hi,

Will the 2.3 be available for windows XP soon ?

Thanks

• Bjørn
    October 1, 2013 at 8:15 am

Will you be releasing 2.3 for Win XP also?

• Toby Ward
    October 1, 2013 at 8:33 am

Thank you VERY much for the print review , have waited for that for a while :)

• Blair
    October 1, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Marius: Makerware 2.2 already supported dual extrusion on the Replicator 1, I have been using it since it came out (using the beta that was available on the website).

I hope the newer features are supported on the Replicator1, too!

• Richie
    October 1, 2013 at 1:49 pm

No 2.3.0 version for XP users then ? :(

• Aric
    October 1, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Awesome update, the dual extrusion guards are really smart.

It’s telling to see that the traffic cone model has been updated to eliminate the inner colored areas that only served to keep the second nozzle active. Now we can build cleaner models because this problem is solve.

Arjun – I noticed that the fillament does retract when switching between colors. That’s what’s happening during the 4 second delay when the nozzle gets switched. It appears to back about about 5mm of filament.

This update also cleans up the plastic “boogies” that would hang from the second nozzle and get wiped onto the model during travel. It used to create an ugly stripe of color up through the model, and now it’s fixed!

• Wim
    October 1, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Thank you so much.
    Exactly what I asked for a few months ago.
    This will make it much more predictable and will result in less failed prints.

Please consider making a second slider in the Toolpath Visualization window so that one can see a range of layers. That helps to zoom in on problem areas.

Keep up the good work!

• vinay
    October 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I down graded my Nvidia graphic driver to 320.00 it WORKS on Makerware 2.3

• Fynsya
    October 2, 2013 at 5:33 am

Any chance of bringing back the rafts we had in 2.2? the new rafts in 2.3 are rather flimsy and make the bottom of the print rather stringy compared to the flatness that 2.2 left, also firmware 7.5 seems to bugged as prints that worked on 7.4 are now failing near the end on 7.5.

Otherwise everything else seems awesome, preview working great and correct but then again I am using a Mac not Windows :D

• Jean-Guy Sasseville
    October 2, 2013 at 7:03 am

Is this firmware pertinent to Makerbot Replicator dual before your new printers?

• Artem
    October 2, 2013 at 11:55 am

The little progress bar in Makerware on the bottom right during printing needs to show estimated time left.

• Foxster
    October 4, 2013 at 9:15 am

Doesn’t work with current version nVidia drivers, window just comes up blank… is a fix going to be available soon??? Older versions used to work perfectly but I’d really love to use the new enhancements if only I could see what’s going on on-screen….

• Rob
    October 4, 2013 at 11:31 am

I’ve been trying out the latest version with the enhancements for dual extrusion prints and the preview feature is great. I have had problems with the extrusion guards – the 2 prints I’ve done the guard has come lose from the platform and ended up messing up my print. I tried raising the temperature of my platform but it didn’t help. They also seems to add a lot to the time and material costs.

Is there a way to turn off the extrusion guard when you don’t need or want them. The part I’m printing doesn’t mix colors and so for this part I’m not really concerned about color bleeding.

Thanks,

_Rob

• Ben Adams
    October 4, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I’ve been waiting for time weight estimates for a long time. This is fantastic! (We have multiple people in the office sharing one machine, and paying for their PLA by weight). My only complaint is that it crashes a ton whenever I use the preview function. Often (but not always) it crashes when I either accept or cancel out of the new preview screen.
    I am anxiously awaiting version 2.3.1 :)

• Mahhari
    October 4, 2013 at 8:18 pm

This is exactly what I wanted from MakerWare! Both the print preview with time and material estimate, plus the dual extrusion guards! Hands down awesomeness. Well done!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMME!

• Adam
    October 7, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Thanks for adding material estimation! That helps a lot.

• Paul Goad
    October 7, 2013 at 1:42 pm

This update doesn’t work for me. I am using an NVidia GTX580 and all I am getting is a blank grey screen when I open MakerWare.

I have to revert back to a previous version.

• Ian Davidson
    October 9, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Ok, I have the print preview working now (by changing the PLA colour) and it’s BRILLIANT !! :) However, it’s unusably slow to move through the layers and zoom in and out and yet I have an Core i7 processor with 8GB of RAM?

Tiffany Diorio
    October 9, 2013 at 4:28 pm

@Paul Please try updating to our latest MakerWare 2.3.1. It should fix the NVidia driver issue you’re seeing. Please let our support team know if you have any questions by e-mailing support@makerbot.com

• Nick Laurie
    October 13, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I can’t work out how to get this toolpath visualisation – can’t find it anywhere (v2.3.1.19 on OS X on iMac),
    Can anyone point me in the ight direction please?

• Fynsya
    October 22, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Guys the latest version of Makerware doesn’t work under OSX Mavericks, it just crashes I can send you a screen capture of the error screen via e-mail if you want, will test out what you done with the rafts tomorrow morning, hopefully they are back as they used to be :D

• Fynsya
    October 23, 2013 at 6:01 am

OK run some tests with the new software and the rafts are still the same, they are flimsy, print only one surface layer even though the profile says two and the first layer of the model is very stringy, what did you change? It would be helpful if you listed somewhere all the changes or bugs fixed so that we can have an idea.

• Rob
    October 23, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I have tried installing the latest makerware 2.2.3.40 and it still has a blank screen when I open makerware and the new digitiser software I’m using the x86 windows 7 download, is there a problem installing on windows 7 professional

It bring up a tab twining the new changes in the title and the rest is blank and then crashes and closes

• Foxster
    October 28, 2013 at 8:12 am

Tried a few prints with the latest version and it seemt to be ignoring the print temperature – heated build plate seems to take the settings OK but the print extrusion seems to stick at 230C regardless of what I set in MakerWare. I did just update the firmware to 7.5 so not sure if this is a bug with the new version of MakerWare or a firmware issue. Will do more testing…

• Ian Davidson
    October 30, 2013 at 5:38 am

I believe there is a bug in the latest version (2.3.2). It doesn’t accept a higher print temperatures than 230′C. If you set it higher than 230′C (say 240′C) you can export the file and the LCD display on the Makerbot will report your higher ‘target’ temperature (240′C), for the first few seconds and then it’ll report the target temperature as 230′C again.

• Foxster
    November 6, 2013 at 5:44 am

After having issues with the print temperatures in the latest version (2.3.2), I uninstalled and went back to an earlier version and print temperatures are working correctly with the earlier version so there is definitely a bug in the latest version that is affecting the print temperatures.

I also noticed issues with the first few layers being very “stringy” which results in gaps in the bottom of printed items but higher layers print perfectly. Anyone else getting this too?

• Fynsya
    November 8, 2013 at 9:59 am

I have solved the “stringy” problem with using rafts, you need to define which extruder (left or right} is printing the raft, don’t leave it on “colour matched” unless you are dual extruding and need the rafts to match your print colours.

• Ben
    November 13, 2013 at 4:30 pm

@Foxster I am having similar problems. The settings I set doesn’t seem to take effect when printing. However I noticed if you create a profile and change the settings in the text editor, it seems to print using the your settings. But this seems inconvenient.