Thingiverse | Gnome Remix Flash Challenge

GnomeRemix

It’s time to put your creative jetpack on for our Gnome Remix FLASH Challenge! Remix the scanned MakerBot Gnome and upload it to Thingiverse with the tag #gnomeremix. Enter before Wednesday, September 18th at 11:59pm EST. That gives you ONE WEEK.

A panel of judges will choose their favorite based on creativity and printability.

The winner will have his or her design printed and displayed at the MakerBot booth at World Maker Faire at the New York Hall of Science on September 21st and 22nd and receive a spool of Translucent Red MakerBot PLA filament. Winners will be announced on the MakerBot blog on September 20th.

Make sure to read all the Official Rules here.

GO!

• Proteus
    September 12, 2013 at 12:07 am

How the heck do you expect people to modify it if all you give is an STL? That stupid format has taken over Thingiverse: Can’t modify it, nothing. USE STEP, very easy to convert to STL.

• Aunt Daisy
    September 12, 2013 at 7:41 am

According to the rules, why are “Residents of the province of Quebec in Canada…” not allowed to compete?
    I’m not Canadian, just confused.

Kate Hannum
      September 12, 2013 at 9:54 am

The government of Quebec has a more stringent set of laws concerning challenges, contests, and sweepstakes than other places.

• Joe Larson
    September 12, 2013 at 10:27 am

A whole roll of red translucent PLA? Hot digity, where do I sign up?

Kate Hannum
      September 12, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Just tag your entry with #GnomeRemix!

Also, we have a #BacktoSchool Challenge running right now, too, and are giving away three prizes that include FIVE rolls of our newest filaments, among other awesome things. You can check that one out here: http://mbot.co/14r66JP Enter both!

• Aunt Daisy
    September 12, 2013 at 11:14 am

Thanks Kate – it looked very odd…

I agree with Proteus, STEP would be easier.

Kate Hannum
      September 12, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Good questions, Aunt Daisy and Proteus! We’re using .stl for this challenge because it is a standard file format and is supported in pretty much all free tools, and we want our challenges to be open to people who use free tools. Additionally, 3D scan data doesn’t translate well to STEP.

• James
    September 12, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Can we use the original gnome on Thingiverse instead of the scanned one?

It has much better quality and can be downloaded as an .obj file instead of .stl.

(http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:138642).

Kate Hannum
      September 13, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Great questions, James and wgss. We’re really judging the challenge winner on creativity and printability, so I’m not sure we’d be able to tell which of the two you remixed. Perhaps your remix could include both to try to stay within the rules?

• wgss
    September 13, 2013 at 1:45 pm

How about an OBJ? That’s standard. This STL is causing my Autodesk programs to freeze

• wgss
    September 13, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Oh ya, and when I win =) – can I get ABS instead as my 2X won’t print PLA worth a darn

Kate Hannum
      September 13, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Yep! We just can’t guarantee that it’ll be our newest the way we can with PLA.

• Yvo
    September 18, 2013 at 8:41 am

@Proteus
    well, same goes for me the other way around..
    .obj and .stl are Perfectly fine for 99% of the Softwares used by the People on thingiverse… right now i dont know of a software that cant open a stl..

.step is much more difficult to open with free software… (i remember only one app that would open it .. -> Freecad whitch is absolutely unusable for me)
    its an engineering software.. not a 3D-designing software.

• Juuso Kolehmainen
    September 18, 2013 at 10:29 am

Challenge accepted! I will start now, lets see what i can do in a short time :)

Kate Hannum
      September 18, 2013 at 10:57 am

13 hours and 3 minutes left! You can do it!

Open Support Case