Thingiverse | A Fresh, New Look on Thingiverse

TV-Launch_Homepage

We are incredibly excited to launch a redesign of thingiverse.com today. Our Design and Development teams have been cranking away to improve your Thingiverse user experience. We concentrated on the core pages of the platform in this release, and there is much more to come over the next few months.

TV-Launch_Responsive-Grid

Among the many improvements, you’ll see that the whole site is now responsive. Using your computer, tablet, or phone, easily view the new homepage and quickly like or collect items on the explore page. We’re also curating collections to surface cool things you may have missed.

TV-Launch_Profiles (1)

We’re most excited about these updates:
– View the new, responsive grid layout with your computer, tablet, or mobile device.
– “Like,” “Collect,” and “Comment” easily within the grid format.
– Discover the best of Thingiverse on the redesigned Homepage.
– Personalize your user profile with a cover image.
– Search for things and users, then sort by newest, relevant, and most makes.
– Filter your Dashboard to see exactly what you want.

Don’t take our word for it. Log on to thingiverse.com and check it out for yourself!

• Joe Larson
    August 8, 2013 at 11:28 am

It’ll take some getting used to, but so far my only real gripe is the extra click it takes to get to where I can read all the comments and add a comment of my own. But besides that I guess it’s okay.

• Big-E
    August 8, 2013 at 1:06 pm

It’s not too bad; I recycled the banner I use on my YouTube channel for my profile; I may do a new one eventually.

My only beef with the new layout is that it defaults to recently made things, rather than the newest things. When I go on Thingiverse, I want to see the latest creations right away, not so much the trendy things that may or may not have been on the site for a while. I still browse what people are making, but I usually do so after I see what’s new, and not every time I visit.

I do like the fact that Customizable things have their own category now, though.

If it works as well on my phone as you say, I may just get rid of thingibrowse, as I won’t need it anymore. I’m pleasantly surprised by the changes to the site; not too bad. I retract my earlier doom and gloom :)

• fredini
    August 8, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Love it, but the tablet/phone version doesn’t offer a download this thing button! I need to be able to load STLs directly into meshlab on my phone!

• Harley
    August 9, 2013 at 12:44 am

Hi Makerbot team,

the new sitedesign is good, but a realy bad thing is, if i go on Website with my ipad i come to the mobilesiteversion, that not good because i can not zoom there and with people who can not good see it is realy helpfull with the zoomfunktion of the ipad. So please can you add by visiting the side a link that we can go to normal website . Or give a link to normal website without switching to mobilsite. Thats a realy great problem that the ipad will be handled by websites as a mobilephone, that makes no sense because it has a big screen.

Greetings Harley

• Harley
    August 9, 2013 at 10:49 am

For what is that mobilwebite for, if there is no downloadbutton.
    And where is the link ” go to normal website” ?
    So user can choose what website ,besides on his mobile device, he will use.

Sorry Makerbot team, but thats a big step back , hope you will fast fix that Problem.
    Its easy todo, add a download button on mobilversion and do a link on Startscreen to choose the normal website for mobile device users with big screens like ipad.

Please, other way we can use thingivers only on PC’s and not on tablets. Think that can not be the way you want to go.

• Harley
    August 9, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Sorry,

i have found it out now, i you turn the pad or phone to landscape, the the download button appears. :-)

So Thingivers is to use on mobile devices!

Only thing what is missing now, is the link to normal website so that the zoom funktion of the mobile device can be used.

Greetings Harley

• Conseils
    August 10, 2013 at 1:57 pm

New is cool, some good, some room for improvement.

I would prefer the landing page to have configurable and selectable applets. A default set could be as now. New is what I am interested in and recently printed. New for my collections and recently printed as I may have missed or want reminding what others are printing.

Featured – Is too big, the switch / swipe should be more subtle. I find it harsh.
    Global feed – why
    Little pictures of people top left of photos – cool
    Customizable creations – umm really?

Buttons / status under pictures – as a minimum very big, at worst huge screen real estate use. Fade them over the image perhaps or similar to the provenance images.

The site does not (currently) work at all correctly with I.E. 8. I have to use this at work during lunch time if I want to look at Thingiverse. The company has 40K computers, so they are not going to change it just for me!

Zooming in and out on Firefox causes issues with the various positions of the elements. They don’t stay in place so I can’t zoom in a sensible way.

Forced advert is a waste of screen real estate and duplication. How many times are you going to say MakerBot? on the page. It’s obvious its a very a commercial enterprise and it won’t take much more commercial push for the site to be nothing more than a full commercial ‘blip vert’ blasting. I don’t use the other sites offering money for designs as its not where I want to be!

Bottom buttons – too big.

It’s as if the designer thinks we are all vision impaired, but has broken the functionality for those who need the feature.

I still don’t like the auto picture zoom and wish you would remove it or allow me to switch it off. It over zooms almost all my images.

The STL viewer is getting better on every iteration.

Keep it up.

• Christian
    August 10, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Hi,
    Will you display accentuated letters properly soon?

àéèêïôù…

• wersy
    August 12, 2013 at 8:27 am

I also want to see the newest things. I miss this option very much!

• Anton
    August 14, 2013 at 7:34 am

After redesign collections navigation is not working.

I open collection, click “>” to go to the next page. Now browser addressbar contains page:2 – http://www.thingiverse.com/thingiverse/collections/household/page:2

But it still shows the first page no matter how many times i click either “>” or “2” in the navigation bar.

• Joakim
    August 14, 2013 at 9:10 am

Page navigation doesn’t work when browsing my collections. I have to switch over to the endless scroll :(

Joakim

• Dragon Vale secrets
    August 25, 2013 at 4:14 am

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you
    penning this write-up and also the rest of the site is really good.

• angelo
    August 25, 2013 at 5:23 am

Cool but it continuously crashes on iPad v3 latest iOS version either on Safari and Chrome.

Please check.

Regards
    Angelo

• Blairquik
    August 29, 2013 at 4:28 am

Erm, where is the ‘download this thing’ button?

• ManOfScience
    September 4, 2013 at 2:12 am

from other comments It sounds great for 10″ tablets, but it is totally broken for us 7″ uses.

The old site worked great on my galaxy tab 7″ screen but the new one is just a tiny image in the centre ofa the screen. that can not be zoomed. I’ve seen the odd “mobile version” website that does something to disable pinch zoom, but you can usually fix it by clicking the “full site” toggle… not present on the new thingiverse. Nor are any buttons for that matter. search? download? help? send feedback? Maybe these essentials are only available on certain size screens or certain OS’s?

Anyway. seems like a major fail on small form factor devices. Too bad since it worked quite nicely on my 7″ tab for the last couple years.

Hope it gets troubleshot, but in the meantime i will check out the 3rd party dedicated apps for thingiverse.

• micha
    September 4, 2013 at 1:14 pm

h team,

with the new design i can no more downlad on my netbook what ih use for my printer the resolution on the screen s 1024×600 and it shows me the mobile page on a win xp system with firefox 23.0.1.

i have to download on my norml pc and put t i may dropbox to use ist on my netbook.

please give a link to the normal page with the download button

• Tim
    September 12, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Somehow IE10 doesn’t allow for downloads, but Firefox does.

• Glen cove Roofing's roof company service area
    December 11, 2013 at 2:35 am

It’s actually a great and useful piece of info.

I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful information with us.
    Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

• Andy
    February 22, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Site crashes iPad Safari and Chrome.

• Stephen Eaton
    March 16, 2014 at 10:38 am

I’m finding that when browsing through things it crashes safari on my iPad :(

All products in your cart at the time of purchase will qualify for the special financing promotion if purchased with Dell Preferred Account between 10-30-2014 through 11/25/2014.