Digitizer Update 9 | Scan And Scale

croppedcat2

The MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner gives you the power to unleash the creative potential of the things you already own.

Did your child create a stencil in art class? Customize an iPhone case with her design. Did you just win the biggest award in your field? No need to stick to just one trophy: print that baby out in every color of filament we make. Are you an interior designer trying to replicate a favorite vintage piece? Scan it in and print as many as you’d like. Got a treasured figurine from grandma? Scan it, scale down, and turn it into a pair of earrings, like we did with our thrift store cat this week.

Those are the kind of possibilities that get us really excited about the Digitizer, especially when combined with the power of a desktop 3D printer like the MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer.

Digitizer_9_blog_post

What would you scan and scale down? Tweet @MakerBot with the hashtag #digitizer or leave a comment below with your suggestions. You can find our cat figurine and all the STL files from all our scanning adventures in our “Digitized!” Thingiverse Collection.

• Matthew Stonebraker
    August 1, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I’d scan and scale down models of my friends. We’re big into board games, and I’d love it if everyone could play games with custom-printed 28mm tall models of themselves (in whatever wacky poses they desire)!

• nick disney
    August 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm

can you stop teasing us and release the digitizer already? its been like three years since you announced it, and still no word on when we can purchase it. stop it, okay? just stop it.

• John Fusi
    August 14, 2013 at 5:13 pm

OK, if it’s only a week away, what’s this puppy going to cost???

• Rob Edwards
    August 15, 2013 at 11:39 am

How much?!
    Please announce things like pricing ahead of time so people might have a chance to prepare and budget for such awesome things!

• E J
    August 15, 2013 at 11:49 am

Rather than asking us “What would you scan and scale down?” you tell us, What CAN we scan and scale down? Small objects? Glossy objects? Fine objects? Objects with undercuts? Furry toys? Or just large 7inch tall bland figurines, trophies, and iphone cases with a few details on the XY axis?

This vague “Oo look its 3d scanning and printing, its so COOL! We made an earring which looks like a vaguely animal shaped piece of popcorn” is getting very old and boring. Its going to confuse and frustrate people – im frustrated.

Its been months and there are no real SPECS or LIMITATIONS. Look at Mathew’s comment above. He wants to scan his friends and is going to be very disappointed that he cant, fit them in the 8×8 inch scanner. A perfect example of how you need to be more transparent with the REAL details.

If you can convincingly scan a carved chess set, ill apologize for my harsh remarks and buy a Digitizer. However, i do doubt that you can do it.

• nick
    August 15, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I agree with EJ. I’m not too worried about the price point, its probably gonna be 1200-1500 USD, but the resolution should be announced. although, I’m sure firmware updates will improve it in the future. of course the rez will always be limited by the quality of the camera hardware. still, I’m gonna get one, just getting the general shape of what I want to scan is enough, I can tweak it in blender or sketch up.

• Nathan panak
    August 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I think it would be awesome if you could flip an object and do multuple scans of the object at different angles to scan the bottom and top sides. I saw someone wanted to scam their friends to print out models, which you won’t be able to do, but you could make a program that would take multiple photos of someone and stitch them together to make a 3d model.

• Marcus Wolschon
    August 16, 2013 at 3:12 pm

So is the digitizer supposed to be a reliable, supported, professional product or an experiment that you happen to be able to buy?