MakerWare 2.2.0 | Release

MakerWare 2.2.0 is now available for download. This powerful software is your go-to tool for translating 3D designs to printed objects, and an integral part of the MakerBot 3D Ecosystem. Here is a behind-the-scenes look at the major improvements we’ve made to the MakerBot Slicer, our slicing engine, with this release.

We have improved support material for objects with overhangs. We have all new rafts that are easy to detach. We have better handling of narrow features, new infill patterns (cats included), and so much more. Let’s dive in:

IMPROVED SUPPORT
Meet Laurana, a 3D printed version of a bust by Italian Renaissance sculptor Francesco Laurana. In the pictures that follow, you’ll see support structures generated using the old version of the MakerWare 2.1.0 (left), and how this has been improved in the new release, MakerWare 2.2.0(right). Support structures are extruded materials that MakerWare can add to a 3D model in order to reinforce objects with overhangs. For example, Laurana’s Romanesque nose would droop under its own weight without support material. The new version of MakerWare is much smarter about generating supports only where they are needed. We’ve also changed the pattern of support material, so it’s much easier to break away. Objects use less plastic and print faster than ever.

MW_220_1-1

IMPROVED RAFTS
We’ve also equipped MakerWare 2.2.0 with improved rafts. A raft is a thin foundation of extruded material that helps your object stick to the build plate during a print, keeping it level and secure. Our new rafts detach more easily, creating a smoother bottom surface. We printed a gear bearing to show how well our new rafts print on objects with detailed first layers.

MW_220_2-1

IMPROVED  NARROW FEATURE HANDLING
Previous versions of MakerWare occasionally missed details on thin or narrow features. Not anymore: MakerWare 2.2.0 offers the best handling of narrow features. Below, you can see how the new version of MakerWare seamlessly printed a single-walled bracelet.

MW_220_22

NEXT WEEK: NEW INFILL PATTERNS AND MORE
We’ll be highlighting additional new features from MakerWare 2.2.0 next week, including new infill patterns like the “catfill” pattern featured in the picture below. In order to turn on cat-shaped infill, just create a custom MakerBot Slicer profile and change the “sparseInfillPattern” setting from “hexagonal” to “catfill”.

MW_220_23

We’ve also released Firmware 7.3.0 today. It contains a few improvements and bug fixes, including an automatic pause for changing filament colors during a print.

Stay tuned for updates, and be sure to download the full release today. We’d love to see how MakerWare 2.2.0 improves the way you print, so send us your before and after photos and any feedback to thoughts@makerbot.com.

Click below to see the full MakerWare and and firmware release notes.

FULL RELEASE NOTES

New features in MakerWare 2.2.0

• Improved default print settings
  • The high-resolution default now uses MakerBot Slicer instead of Skeinforge
  • A number of MakerBot Slicer improvements:
    • Easy-to-remove rafts
    • More minimal support
    • Easy-to-detach, wavy support pattern
    • Better handling of external spurs (as seen in the Stretchy Bracelet)
    • Removing diagonal lines from surface walls and first layers
    • New smoothing algorithm
    • Better Bridging
    • Multiple infill patterns (“hexagonal” is the default; other patterns can be selected in custom profiles)
    • A number of new experimental settings have been added that are turned off in the defaults, but can be turned on in custom profiles. See the custom profile support page for specifics.
      • Dynamic speed calculations
      • Internal spurs
      • Backlash compensation
  • A new Skeinforge default profile has been added
  • Users can choose from a subtle skybox option
  • It is now easy to set extruder temperature when using custom MakerBot Slicer profiles
  • Added a homing button for Thing-O-Matics
  • MakerWare now supports Ubuntu 13.04

Firmware 7.3.0

• Added print time to the interface board during prints. The interface now toggles between print percentage and print time.
  • Users can now swap filament at specific layers by using the Z Pause Height option during prints.
  • Small text display bugs in the LCD interface have been fixed
  • During mid-print filament changes the stepper motors now lock to prevent the extruder from becoming misaligned
  • Changing filament during a print will now timeout after 15 minutes and turn into a cold pause
  • Added better error handling for heater errors

Congrats! You read to the end. Head over to Thingiverse and find your favorite Collection of things to make with your new MakerWare download.

UPDATE: MakerWare 2.2.1 is now available. The only change from 2.2.0 is added connectivity to our new RevH MightyBoards.

UPDATE 2: MakerWare 2.2.2 is now available with the following changes:

• There are now separate custom profile templates for high, standard, and low resolution prints.
  • A number of minor print quality bugs have been fixed, including the missing roofs and floors bug.
  • MakerWare can print over USB to MakerBots running Sailfish firmware.

Changes in Firmware 7.4

• Bug fix for the LCD display rolling back to 0 hours when a print time exceeds 10 hours.
  • Z-Pause now resets to ‘off’ after a cancelled print.

• Mike Skalnik
    June 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Are these changes to the Makerbot Slicer open sourced somewhere?

• Mike Spano
    June 12, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I’m still fairly new to the whole customizing profiles thing. I’ve been able to mess around with ReplicatorG a fair amount but really want to dive into makerware more. I looked at the custom profile support page but it is still confusing is anyone going to make a more in-depth review of the custom profiles feature? I would really like it broken down to little details so I can make it mine.

• jeff
    June 13, 2013 at 12:01 am

• David
    June 13, 2013 at 4:08 am

Nothing new on printerspeed? Been pritining with Sailfish for a while now and it’s really stable @120mm/s. Or do we just have to wait for next release?
    Any plans on adding time remaining and filament used aswell??

• Adam
    June 13, 2013 at 9:15 am

Is MakerWare able to give a material use estimate before printing? This is a feature I really need in order to switch to using MakerWare full time. If not, is it on the roadmap?

• John Francis
    June 13, 2013 at 9:46 am

Well, you’ve made me love you again. My thing-o-matic works like a totally different machine with 2.0; I can’t wait to see how well this will work.

From the bottom of my heart:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• Kenton
    June 13, 2013 at 10:57 am

Can you make the support or raft from a different extruder from the rest of the part? I’d like to make the support from a different material, such as soluble HIPS or PVA.

• Mike
    June 13, 2013 at 11:08 am

This is awesome thank you

• Joe Larson
    June 13, 2013 at 11:55 am

Does Firmware 7.3.0 have ditto printing?

Will MakerWare work with Sailfish?

• Joe Larson
    June 13, 2013 at 11:56 am

Also, how easy is it to adjust filament diameter?

• Eric
    June 13, 2013 at 1:00 pm

It would be nice if the generated supports could be printed from the second head on a Rep2x.

• Rich Olson
    June 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Wow – the new raft works amazingly well.

Supports much better too!

To those asking about speed – I do 110mm/s on my rep 2 with stock firmware all the time. Suspect I could go faster. I think the biggest thing preventing this for some users is if their extruder isn’t happy (if you haven’t yet – do the extruder upgrade).

Only thing I don’t see is:

“It is now easy to set extruder temperature when using custom MakerBot Slicer profiles”

Can’t see where I can do that…

• propellerscience
    June 13, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I stopped reading and downloaded the version after I read about cat infill. Too awesome!

• Fernando
    June 13, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Would be nice to make supports and / or rafts from the second extruder with Rap2x

• MadReasonable
    June 13, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I’d love to see secret message infill…

• Robert
    June 13, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Anyone tried the moroccanstar in fill yet, curious to see what this looks like also?

• Paul
    June 14, 2013 at 9:06 am

I’m impressed… out of the box 0.10mm build, raft, supports, small features =>> very nice build!
    Let’s see what the firmware upgrade does!

• gaetano marano
    June 14, 2013 at 12:09 pm

very interesting

• Richie
    June 14, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Superb !!!! – the first layer and raft is SO much better now :)

• drew
    June 14, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I would like to see you fix the issue concerning Makerbot software not been able to see more than 80k faces on meshes when you create files based on photo to meshv4 then attempt to build them using makerware.

All I get is runtime c++ runtine errors and Makerbot saying it failed in building the project,
    it almost makes me want to go and get an UP or a deltasine as these machines don’t have so many software gliches .

I do understand however that this is an issue that Makerbot is very well aware of but its on the back burner or is it you guys just don’t know how to fix it yet?

• Big=E
    June 14, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Pretty nice so far, I’ve noticed you bumped up the speed on the high quality profile, and it slices a lot quicker now. I Wonder if makerware uses the Grue for the high quality profile now, or did they switch to PyPy? either way, I’m liking this latest update!

BTW, I’ve been cranking my prints out at 120mm / sec extrusion speed in MakerWare for a while now, with almost no issues for quite a while now, I suspect with the anit-backlash changes, it will handle it just fine now. So give it a shot, it couldn’t hurt things. I would suggest using skeinforge though, as it seems to handle it better, but I’ve also done this with miracle grue.

Honestly, sailfish is nice, but Makerware and MBI firmware are adding more and more sailfish features as time goes by. pause at ZPOS will help a lot.

• Sitki
    June 15, 2013 at 10:47 am

just downloaded and having trouble slicing the 3d prints. It gets stuck at a certain percentage. Not good for the new version so far…

• GuyC
    June 16, 2013 at 1:58 am

The new raft design is a huge improvement. I’ve been working for weeks on one particular print that keeps warping with ABS, and was just about out of ideas. The new raft design in this release nailed it – rock solid adhesion, and the bottom surface of the print looks as good as it would raftless.

To illustrate the quality of adhesion, I was unable to remove the raft from the HPB without using tools immediately after the print finished, but on the overnight prints were the bed cooled completely, the raft broke free of the bed by itself during cooling. Bonus!

So thanks guys.

• Joel
    June 16, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Hi All,
    I really enjoy how we all purchased a product and the company we purchased it from continues to make it better with these firmware and software updates.

The set up I have in a class room is a replicator dual with a laptop that is always plugged in and remains logged on with a generic user name. The issue I have is that it takes too long to generate (slice/print) the file and the bed has time to cool etc.

My students are currently saving a .thing file from individual computers to a network drive and then opening the .thing file on the laptop attached to the replicator. This is good but could be better. Ideally I would like them to be able to generate the files on there computer and save a .x3g file on the network drive. Then they would be able to “make from file” on the laptop attached to the printer. Unfortunately it seems this feature only supports .gcode.

Thanks,
    Joel

• Will
    June 17, 2013 at 9:57 am

Slice speed is SOOO much faster! Awesome!

• James
    June 17, 2013 at 6:15 pm

How does one go about updating the firmware for the Replicator 2x?

• Tom
    June 18, 2013 at 10:34 am

Nice job on 2.2.0.46
    Good idea to remove unnecessary support. However in certain cases there is not enough support. Some parts are impossible to print with 2.2.0.46 because of unsufficient support. I’m glad I kept a copy of 2.1.0.61. I had to revert to 2.1.0.61 to be able to print my parts.

Good idea to add elapsed time. What would be great is an estimated remaining time AND estimated finish time (for example: built will be ready at 2h43PM) at least in the makerware display.

Melody
      June 19, 2013 at 12:48 pm

@ Tom — You can go back to the old way of generating supports by creating a custom profile and setting “supportExcessive” to “true”. For instructions on creating a custom profile, see this page.

• LM
    June 18, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Uh… an object I printed with the previous release, using raft & support printed fine. However the same object, newly sliced with the latest makerware only printed the raft and support. Not the object itself *scratches head*. No one else having this problem?

• avalonn
    June 19, 2013 at 4:11 am

Hi,
    Is it possible to switch between orthogonal and diagonal filling, or in another way, is orthogonal filling still available somewhere in this new release ?
    Thank you.

Tiffany Diorio
    June 19, 2013 at 10:56 am

@James To update your firmware connect your printer to a computer via USB and open MakerWare. From there click on the option, “MakerBots” and select upload firmware.

@LM If you still need some help printing your full object open a support ticket with us by e-mailing support@makerbot.com and we’ll be happy to help you out!

Tiffany Diorio
    June 19, 2013 at 12:01 pm

@avalonn If you want to use orthogonal infill in MakerWare 2.2 create a custom profile and change “sparseInfillPattern” from “hexagonal” to “linear.”

• BoxSci
    June 19, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Love the new slicer and print options. And the new rafts seem to be a big improvement. However I am not seeing the same faster slicing others have reported, and I’m getting goopy rafts that snag easily, despite my printer having no such problems without rafting. Have yet to produce a successful rafted print since the SW/FW upgrade. Any intrepid users have any ideas they care to share (using a 2X)? All the new improvements are exactly the ones I was hoping for, so I’m still optimistic. Just not seeing the results yet.

• Avalonn
    June 20, 2013 at 3:29 pm

@ Tiffany Diorio

Thank you very much, it wasn’t the infill I was talking about but your answer let me find the solid fill orientation command “solidFillOrientationOffset” that I put to 0 instead of -45, and I get perpendicular solid fill. I’m happy (and I confirm the new raft is really a gift).

again : THANK YOU !!!!!

• Gregory
    June 23, 2013 at 3:24 am

Thanks for this new version, downloaded it instantly and had no issues installing/upgrading.
    What is still missing is a larger choice of colors to select from for left and right extruder. I use most available colors and print dark/light blue DUAL extr things, but makerware only has a single blue…
    That said, first thing I built was a dual extrusion thing (so no rafts, no supports) that printed fine on the previous version.
    Things go wrong at the start of the print. The head prints the first horizontal line to
    prepare the nozzles, moves to the start position and then… STOPS for 2 seconds while still printing ABS material = clodding the head. after that it makes no sense to continue, the material sticks to the head and pulls everything it prints from the table…
    I’ll try single head things now, looking forward to the improvements made,
    and keep an eye on this blog for the next update (with Dual improvements).

Tiffany Diorio
    June 25, 2013 at 3:29 pm

@Gregory Have you solved this issue? If not, we can help you out. Just open a support ticket by e-mailing support@makerbot.com and one of our awesome support agents will answer all your questions!

• Mike
    June 26, 2013 at 1:46 pm

when printing small very small things what would be the best settings…??

Tiffany Diorio
    June 27, 2013 at 10:38 am

Hi Mike,

When you’re printing small models with fine details you would do well by not including too many shells – one or two shells should be fine. Also, you can try and slow down the travel rate on the extruder.

If you have any other questions just e-mail our support staff and they’ll help you out with whatever you need!

• Darrell Jan
    July 3, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I’m using 2.2.1 and I tried to slice the viking mars lander http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:87450

MW only slices a small part and then thinks its done, whether creating g code or x3g. Still does a good job on Yoda though.

I tried to open a ticket, but I get an error: “Oops, this seems to be invalid.” So here it is.

• Adrian
    July 4, 2013 at 11:10 am

Editing of the Skeinforge settings for the Replicator 2x is completely hosed. It wants to only print on the right head and I can’t heat the platform. The defaults seem to work but I can’t seem to figure out how to copy the defaults so that I can edit them.

• Alpinerbergen
    July 7, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Better supports, better raft, faster slicing speed and better printing quality.

There is only one negative point in the new Makerware version. It screws up one of my things in Makerware 2.2., where Makerware 2.1 is doing allright. Although the drawing looks good in Makerware 2.2., the thing comes out of the printer as a big mess. I tried with and without raft&supoorts and it didn’t make a difference. So I downgrade back to Makerware 2.1 despite some cool new features of Makerware 2.2.

• Chad
    July 9, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I don’t know about the rest of you but I have a hard time removing the new rafts. They do help keep the material stuck to the surface. However when I get the part off the build tray I then have a seriously difficult time removing the rafts, I have even broken to parts trying to remove the rafts. and sometimes the raft adheres so well that I have to sand it to get it off.

I will say, HOLY COW the slice times are faster. Thank you for that enhancement.

• jspark
    July 11, 2013 at 2:58 am

Did you copy the UP printer’s software?
    I’m using now both of UP and Rep2.
    The Raft and Support methods are very similar with that the UP printer already has!
    Anyway I like this update. :)

• alpinerbergen
    July 28, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Makerbot helped me with a solution to the problem as discribed in my previous comment above. Many thanks for that! Makerware 2.2 is far more sensitive to orientation and non manifold STL files as Makerware 2.1. So now I have to check and repair every STL file in Netfabb before slicing it. It is an extra step in the process.

Even if you choose not to put the object onto the printerbed, Makerware 2.2 completely ignores the offset on the Z-axis. So I cannot use Makerware 2.2 for layered multicolor printing.

Another disadvantage of Makerware 2.2 is that it moves the extruderhead diagonally, so the printer makes all movements twice more than necessary. The wear on the printer thereby increases a lot.

As Chad already mentioned, the new rafts do not always come of easily. The new rafts also use more filament material then the rafts in Makerware 2.1.

Because of all these cons I downgraded to Makerware 2.1. Hopefully all the issues will be solved in Makerware 2.3.

• kmetiuk
    July 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I believe there to be an issue with Makerware 2.2.0. and the alogrothim used to insert the “raft”

When using “raft” i have noticed that while my layer height is set to 0.30mm, this is NOT taken into account by the “raft” algorithm.

If you look closely at the first 1-10 (ish) layers; they are squished much lower than the rest of the print above them (layers 11-last layer). It is very noticeable that the first few layers are NOT at 0.30mm.

I have given this much thought and tried different temp settings, HBP settings, different colors, speeds, and also thicknesses. When none of the aforementioned helped, I realized it must be a software issue.

I believe that Makerware 2.2.0 is inserting the raft under the model and then not moving the model in the +ive z-direction. This is what is causing the squished layers. ie: Makerware is shoving the “raft” under the model and then NOT moving the model up which is causing all kinds of clogging issues.

The more surface area the first layer printed on the raft has, the more likely the nozzle will clog and the print will fail.

Please advise!

I need the raft to keep everything flat since the Replicator 2X most definitely does NOT have a “super flat hit build plate” and I am tired of sitting here for the first 45 minutes of a build to make sure it gets to layer 10 without clogging.

Cheers. :)

• KyleS
    September 24, 2013 at 3:31 pm

When will you do something to address the constant failure to slice models?

Often properly repaired models with zero errors will fail to slice. I go back and make a tiny change in CAD and magically it will (or won’t) slice the model.

“See Makerware log for error” gets pretty old.

I also agree with the raft issue posted above.

• Jacky
    September 27, 2013 at 4:26 am

hello,

I have The MakerBot Replicator.

Can I updata firmware to 7.4 ?

• Tim Mezel
    December 4, 2013 at 2:55 am

I need to go back to makerware 2.2. Some of my prints are hosed and its affecting my business!

Where can I find it. I don’t even think I had 2.3 loaded.

Tiffany Diorio
    December 4, 2013 at 4:55 pm

@Tim – We’d love to take a look at the issues you’re having with MakerWare 2.4, so we can help you print with the newest version. Have you tried running your models through cloud.netfabb.com? If you have and you’re still experiencing issues please call or e-mail us!

• Andy
    December 9, 2013 at 11:23 am

@Jeff
    Re: “really…catfill…? why? what are the actual benefits of catfill? just some razzle dazzle?”

Of course, “catfill” itself is just razzle dazzle for demo purposes. However, the ability to do custom infills is an exciting and useful feature, especially for anyone who uses translucent filament.

Basically, it will allow infill to serve as another stylistic element in prints where it is visible part (by choice or consequence) of the finished design.