What’s New With The MakerBot Digitizer: Update 1

We’re kicking off a series of updates regarding the MakerBot Digitizer, the Desktop 3D Scanner we launched as a prototype at SXSW. Why weekly updates? Because we want you in on the action.

Our central goal with the Digitizer is to make an affordable 3D scanner that works perfectly with our Desktop 3D Printers. We don’t want scans that you have to clean up and cut flat surfaces into. Off the scanner, into the printer. We know that’s what you want, so that’s what we’re working toward.

Here we go! The first couple of models we have to share are both pretty famous at this point: our Garden Gnome and the Stanford Bunny.

We’re getting some pretty good detail on the scans. The gnome’s beard and suspenders show this off nicely. Again, this is the scan directly from the MakerBot Digitizer, without any repairs to the outer surface.

_MG_2872 _MG_2873

And here’s the Stanford Bunny.

_MG_2841 _MG_2842

This is an exciting scan. The bunny’s ears were captured perfectly, with no extra material between them. We look for good results like this that show deep crevices on an object.

_MG_2849

Stay tuned for more updates on the MakerBot Digitizer. We also have an email list that you can sign up for at makerbot.com/digitizer. When you’re there, be sure to tell us what you’d scan, and keep your feedback coming in the comments.

You can see the full “Digitized!” collection here.

• TheNewHobbyist
    April 30, 2013 at 11:48 am

Wow! Great looking scans, I’m really excited to get my hands on one of these. My notebook of potential scanning projects is growing…

• Spike
    May 1, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I don’t know the tech very well, but the bunny’s ears looks much thicker than it should be, especially the outer edge of it. And the shape of the tail is also wrong. Hope it can be improved better. I m very interested in it.

• tim
    May 1, 2013 at 11:18 pm

This seems weird! Will it be cheaper than the Kinect? The Shape is all bubbly also im very skeptical about this device.

• Phoenix
    May 2, 2013 at 12:10 am

What about NON-MakerBot printer owners, will we still be able to use this, or is it only for MakerBot????

• brett
    May 7, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Hi there,
    Any update on when you will start shipping the digitizer?

• stephen Adams
    May 11, 2013 at 5:57 pm

When are we going to see the device, rather than its output?
    How is it going to do a 3D scan, which will include the base on which it is sitting?

• nick disney
    June 14, 2013 at 4:24 pm

So I’m gonna guess this is never going to actually get produced, just take up space on the internet. id be the first to buy if they did, but I’m pretty sure they gave up on it.