MakerWare 2.1.0 Now Available, With Thing-O-Matic Support

_MG_2686_alt

Version 2.1.0 of MakerWare is now available for download. This latest version of our 3D printing preparation software includes support for the MakerBot Thing-O-Matic, our second generation 3D printer released in 2010. We’re glad to offer this integration for some of our long-time customers, who have contributed significantly to the MakerBot community.

What’s New in MakerWare 2.1.0

Besides support for the Thing-O-Matic, there are some changes and a bunch of bug fixes for MakerBot Replicator, Replicator 2, and Replicator 2X users. In our testing and in your feedback, we’ve seen that some prints need extra help to stick to the build plate, so we’ve included an update to the rafts feature.  Now when you choose to use a raft, the MakerBot Slicing Engine will code the first layer of the raft to print much slower than the rest of the layers. This really helps adhesion.

Another feature requested by our customers is the ability to heat the build plate on the MakerBot Replicator and Replicator 2X when using PLA. This is now possible in MakerWare 2.1.0. We’ve tested this in-house and had some success. If you’ve been experimenting with using a heated build plate with PLA, tell us about your experience in the comments.

In other news, the MakerWare interface got a nice design refresh that we think you’ll enjoy. Click below to see the full release notes and to learn more about using MakerWare for your Thing-O-Matic.

Full Release Notes

New features in MakerWare 2.1.0

• Thing-O-Matic now supported in MakerWare.

• The raft base prints at a slower speed when using MakerBot Slicing Engine (12 mm/second).

• Users can now heat the build platform when printing with PLA on a MakerBot Replicator or Replicator 2X.

• The Settings button has been removed from the upper right corner of the screen. The Settings option has been moved to the Edit menu.

• The design of the buttons within main MakerWare user interface has been refreshed.

Bug Fixes in MakerWare 2.1.0

• A Windows registry key fix for users unable to connect to a MakerBot over USB.

• Changed the Mac installer to address installation issues on some Snow Leopard machines.

• Users are warned if they attempt to save .x3g files with names too long for the firmware (>30 characters), and the filename is automatically truncated.

• MakerWare performs a more complete reset if user attempts to reset the motherboard.
  • Fixed dual extrusion long retract to reset the filament distance in order to reduce blobbing.

• Fixed the example Chain_Linked file to print correctly at default settings.

• Fixed the ‘Uniform scaling’ checkbox bug in Windows XP.

• Fix for excessive memory usage during the verification stage.

• Adjusted the Skeinforge custom profile defaults to print better on MakerBots (removed rafts and support as default during dual extrusion).

• Exported gcode now has variables replaced with appropriate values.

Using MakerWare with a MakerBot Thing-O-Matic

Under the MakerBots menu in the MakerWare toolbar, set your Type of MakerBot to Thing-O-Matic. Then you will have the option to open a Control Panel. If your machine is connected to your computer via USB, it will show up as either “Arduino Mega” or “FTDI”. Highlight the entry and click “Connect”; this will change the name of the entry to “Thing-O-Matic” and allow you to operate your machine. Click “Direct Controls” to change filament and manage build plate settings. You can also run the calibration script from this dialog box.

Once these steps are complete, you are ready to use MakerWare normally. Open files into the virtual build space and use the Make It menu to start printing. For more on MakerWare, click here.

With the Thing-O-Matic setting in MakerWare, you can:

• Work within the Thing-O-Matic build volume.

• Place multiple separate files objects on the build plate at once.

• Print from your Thing-O-Matic over USB.

• Print from an SD card using a Gen4 LCD interface.

• Adjust onboard preferences.

• Load/Unload filament.

• Run the Thing-O-Matic calibration script.

• Export to s3g, x3g, and gcode files.

• Work with Thing-O-Matic running Sailfish 4.1, 4.2, or 4.3 Firmware.

• Update Firmware to Sailfish 4.1.

Congrats! You read to the end. If you have more technical questions about using MakerWare with a MakerBot Thing-O-Matic, check out the documentation page here. Otherwise, head over to Thingiverse and find your favorite Collection of things to make with your new MakerWare download.

• tamberg
    April 29, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Thanks a lot for Thing-O-Matic Support! Regards, tamberg

• Erwin
    April 30, 2013 at 2:08 am

Thanks a lot!

• david
    April 30, 2013 at 9:27 am

Why can’t we have something that estimates the time to complete a printed object? That way we could make adjustments and have an idea of how much longer it might take.

• Nanners
    April 30, 2013 at 11:43 am

Awesome, I’ll be very interested to try this out tonight/tomorrow. I finally got skeinforge pretty close to perfect at .2 mm so I’ll be interested to see how well miracle grue does at slicing.

• Ross
    April 30, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I print like this all the time with a Replicator. Set the build plate to 50, the extruder temperature to 210, and run at 50-80 mm/s. There’s no warping at all, prints come out pretty much perfect every time. I use blue tape on the bed, it’s cheap and easy to replace, and 50 degrees isn’t hot enough to cook the glue on it (which smells pretty terrible).

• slab
    April 30, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Was super excited to try this out on Windows 7SP1 and Thing-O-Matic. Sadly, MakerWare CANNOT connect to the port. It fails. The same is true on Mac OS.X.8.3. FTDI drivers are installed, checked on Windows and Mac OS.X.8.3.

Oddly, if I close MakerWare (Windows and Mac OS.X.8.3), and open ReplicatorG 0040 – I can connect to the Thing-O-Matic?

Anyone else? Would really like to consolidate ReplicatorG and MakerWare to just one application for both machines in the lab.

• ehisforadam
    April 30, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Does the Thing-O-Matic support work with accelerated firmware like Sailfish? I know that was included with Replicator G, I just want to make sure I can keep my faster print speeds.

• ehisforadam
    April 30, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Oops, missed the bottom part of the post, sorry.

• Andrew
    April 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm

MakerWare doesn’t seem to be controlling the fan on the Mk7 with the Thing-O-Matic….. Which causes my printing head to get too hot and stop extruding plastic successfully.

• Thomas
    May 1, 2013 at 9:41 am

I’m waiting for time estimation and support with dual extrusion. When do you think improve this features?
    Best regards

Thomas Baldi

• griff
    May 2, 2013 at 9:05 am

Hi there,

Installed this, and did a couple of prints. Tried opening a larger file today, and on hitting the make button, i was presented with

Runtime error!

c:/….makerware.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information.

This is running on an AMD Llano machine with windows 8 64bit.

• john west
    May 2, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Thanks! I was doubtful you’d ever support the TOM; you proved me wrong! Awesome.

Thanks again,
    John

• John
    May 3, 2013 at 10:34 pm

While I was excited to see the new changes, it appears this version is full of errors at least on the Mac client. Scaling no longer seems to work by unchecking “Uniform scaling”; it still scales the other 2 axis dimensions. Custom entered “Advanced Options” in Low, Medium, and High like Infill, Shells, Layer Height, etc are reset to their defaults if you select between those profiles High, Medium, and Low. Among other “weird” issues. Hopefully you guys hammer those bugs out very soon.

Keep up the good work though,

John

• Fuchur | PW3d
    May 5, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Thomas as far as I know, dual extrusion is already in this release (and the release before that). Or what are you talking about?

Time estimation is not, but that is really a small problem for me… especially since you can’t be sure about that anyway.

See you
    *Fuchur*

• john
    May 6, 2013 at 5:08 pm

So I’m in Toolhead 0 not found hell with my TOM after upgrading to the Sailfish firmware as instructed. I can try any combo of motherboard/extruder firmware version combos, but still no dice.

I have a ticket open (114132), but thought I’d post here as well to see if anyone else had the issue.

• Darrell
    May 6, 2013 at 5:43 pm

It looks like you no longer get realtime temperature readings during the print. Was this removed, or is it moved somewhere?

• Aaron
    May 8, 2013 at 2:52 am

Hi
    I very new to this 3D printing media and have inherited a thing-O-matic for the classroom. I have had to update to Win8, installed Maker Ware but am unable to connect to the printer. Is there a trick to this? I have tried reading about how but can find no answer. The MW knows its sitting there but says its not connected. Please help

• Ferdy
    May 8, 2013 at 10:41 am

I’m not all too happy with the GUI changes.

I liked to see the extruder temperature and progress indicator in the bottom right.

• Laurie
    May 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm

What happened to the buttons? They look terrible in the new version. Like the ones you would use before you have the time to draw the real ones. Even the anti-alias for the lines is off.

• Ferdy
    May 10, 2013 at 11:26 am

Oh, I now notice the progressbar is actually still there, but only when printing directly from Makerbot.

But it used to be there when printing from file and printing from SD as well, which I found to be very usefull..

• TEM
    May 12, 2013 at 1:10 pm

The build quality on my thing-o-matic (sailfish 4.4 firmware) seems worse than with replicatorg? Calibration cube exterior is raggedy and the side tilt out as build progresses with corners turning up. I am using the pluigin to slow outsurfaces with replicatorg.

• Marc
    May 13, 2013 at 12:25 am

I’ve been tuning this new software for a couple of projects, but on each one the software seems to lag horribly when it gets to 33% done. One print, which took 5 hours to print, took over 2 hours to prepare in makerware. Why is it lagging at 33% and how could I reduce the time it takes to prepare? I’m running windows 7 on a centrino 2, 3gb ram; with makerware as the only aplication.

Also, count my vote for a print time estimater. Maybe even a software prep time estimater too!?

• Edgar
    May 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm

It is a most to add an estimate time of building!

• Mike
    June 5, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I second Marc’s comments on 5/13/2013 and go one better: it may be my imagination but I can replicate this issue myself, as well as, have horrible delays at 66% and 99%. This happens when I have multiple parts on table.

Thank you.

• Danny
    June 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Also having trouble when reaching 33% when creating a high quality model. Only one part on the table.

Thanks

• Nigel Kriel
    July 3, 2013 at 2:32 am

Hi. We print in ABS and PLA. Is there a way to edit G-Code in the new version of makerware.
    I am looking to try to change the build plate temperature to start at a higher temperature then after “x” mm build height lower the build plate temperature for the rest of the run. Had quite a bit of success with this previously, but cant do it now.

• Bryan Apperson
    August 1, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Thanks but this does not print at all with 3mm filament. Unfortunately there is no way to change the filament size.

Open Support Case