MakerBot Customizer Challenge Winners!

The results are in! We called a close on Friday to the MakerBot Customizer Challenge, and before you read down to see the winners, you have to know one thing: this Challenge was outstanding.

Everyone who participated rocked our socks off, including those of you who were already doing great stuff with parametric design and adapted your files to work with Customizer. The participation was also huge. There were hundreds of entries spread out among the three categories (Useful, Artistic, and Wearable), and the quality of the designs made judging much harder than we expected.

So, huge kudos to the winners, who have each won a new MakerBot Replicator 2X Experimental 3D Printer, and all the runners-up, who are fast becoming Thingiverse celebrities. Results after the jump!

USEFUL

for the birds, by Benjamin

RUNNERS-UP

Customizable Chainlink Bracelet, by sethmoser
Customizable Word Glasses, by leodin
Customizable Word Rings, by kataze

Special Note

An honorable mention also goes to Thingiverse user Walter, who contributed several beautiful designs and who has really set an admirable standard for creating Thingiverse pages. We love your work, Walter!

• Caleb
    March 10, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Makerbot, encouraging illegal/unlicensed wiring since 2013?

• Jeshua Lacock
    March 10, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Based on the winner and runners-up, I think the “art” category would have been better named the “toy” category. It would have saved me over 2 weeks of full time work. Just sayin.

• aubenc
    March 11, 2013 at 4:04 am

Congratulations to everyone. Well done!!

• MichaelAtOz
    March 12, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Jeshua, work, like what? If it is Art isn’t it worth it regardless, rather than ‘work’? Music, motion pictures, cartoons and stencils aren’t Art? Just sayin.

Congrats all. Benjamin I really liked the birds

(but please Makerbot, make customiser ‘publish’ not the default, there were lots of good Things, but it is out numbered by mass produced dross)

• greatgrandmum
    March 12, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I found this fascinating when I understood it. Wish I were younger and could be in on it. Feel same as when I learned to use a computer, before that a photocopier, before that a fax machine, before that an electronic typewriter, …. haha.

• Jeshua Lacock
    March 12, 2013 at 8:37 pm

MichaelAtOz: let me ask you this, do you think it is likely to see any of those “art” entries on exhibit?

• Chris
    March 13, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Caleb, really.. You know in most states if you are doing the wiring on your own property and is up to code, you don’t have to have a licences electrition. So be a sore loser else where

• Sahra
    March 14, 2013 at 6:02 pm

@Jeshua Lacock they are on exhibit. Expand your limited idea of what an exhibition is. If we redefined “art” to be “what Jeshua Lacock thinks is art” we’d be the lesser for it.

• Zh4x0r
    March 14, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I would really like to see a new option for derivatives, marked “customized copies” that way the feeds don’t get clogged up by all the customized copies, and that way the “derivatives” feed for each item can be kept for just “real” derivatives, as opposed to derivatives and customized copies.

• Lajument
    March 15, 2013 at 9:24 am

Zh4x0r –

I don’t follow your reasoning for wanting a new option for derivatives marked “customized copies”. – Notice that my last statement is a derivative of the statement you made in your posting, a posting that was immediately protected by copyright laws when you created it. – I digress. My question is what is your definition of a “real derivative” and how would the new option prove to be beneficial?

• Lajument
    March 15, 2013 at 9:26 am

greatgrandmum –

I will turn 50 this summer and feel that I can relate to your observations. In fact I chose the handle “La Jument” because the image summed up how I feel about life in this the 21st century. Check out this link if you are curious to see what I mean.

• Leo
    March 15, 2013 at 9:49 am

Lajument –

I think that the issue is in the treatment of Customizer-produced things as equal to any other manually created thing. For more complex customised items, that’s fine, but for simple ones with only a word changed it produces a lot of fairly useless items which are treated in the same way as a manually created thing. I think they’ve started to exclude customizer-produced items from some feeds on the site, which is a good first step.

I think the solution proposed by MichaelAtOz is probably the right one. Ensure that customizer-produced items are not published by default. If someone customises something and then adds to it then they can publish it, but if all they’ve done is put in a few words in a box and produced an STL which will never actually be printed, it doesn’t clog up any feeds.

As a result of publishing a fairly successful customisable thing, I receive anywhere from 2 to 20 notifications a day about a published derivative. So far all but one of these have simply been the output of customizer. Slightly interesting because I can see what words people have chosen to use, but not really contributing to the site as a whole. If these were, by default, unpublished there would be no net loss to the community. If the person who produced the model printed it and took some photos/made some comments (as has happened on one occasion) then they can choose to publish the updated thing and add value to the community.

• LaJument
    March 15, 2013 at 9:54 am

Sahra and Jeshua Lacock –

What we need is a new “ism” I propose we adopt the word “artism” to describe any negative or unfavorable criticism or comment directed towards anything that has been designated as art.

Of course that would mean that anyone making said remarks would then become an artist.

• LaJument
    March 15, 2013 at 10:19 am

I cant say that l share your view, but I do see your point. In addition to the change you are proposing, why not add a catagory for ‘personalized’?

• Simon
    May 11, 2013 at 8:12 am

@Jeshua Lacock, why don’t you just congratulate the winners. That would be the gentlemanly thing. Don’t be one of those people.