MakerBot MakerWare 2.0 Now Available!

MakerWare_2_0_screenshot

Announcing MakerBot MakerWare 2.0, , our latest release of the software we create that drives your MakerBot. It’s an important release, go Download it now. This is the update you’ve been waiting for if you have ordered a MakerBot Replicator 2X or have an original MakerBot Replicator with dual extruders.

Click below to read about all the updates and the full release notes.

WHAT’S NEW IN MAKERBOT MAKERWARE 2.0

Full MakerBot Replicator 2X support. Those of you with a MakerBot Replicator 2X in the shipping queue will be all set with MakerBot MakerWare when you get your delivery from us.

Change model color. As a visual aid, you can now set objects on your platform to display in different colors. You can use these colors to mostly match the spools of filament on your MakerBot Desktop 3D Printer.

Dual extrusion support. Now you can use MakerBot MakerWare to create integrated two-color prints on your MakerBot Replicator (Dual) or MakerBot Replicator 2X. The new tools enable you to designate which part of your model will come from which extruder.

Slicing enhancements. New optimizations to our algorithm help you print better single-wall objects, and account for the subtle differences in PLA and ABS when preparing your model for printing.

Important! MakerBot MakerWare 2.0 includes some improvements to custom printing profiles. If you have already made some custom profiles, update them by setting the MaxSpurWidth setting to 0.4.

Custom profiles are currently unavailable for MakerBot Replicator 2X (for single and dual extrusion) and Replicator (for dual extrusion only). We’ll have an update on it soon!

WHAT’S NEW IN MAKERBOT FIRMWARE 7.2

If you don’t have the latest MakerBot Firmware, you’re not taking advantage of all of the improvements we’ve made to your overall printing experience. Take a minute to update your to MakerBot Firmware 7.2 now. Here’s what’s new.

● S3G files are no longer visible on the SD card – only X3G files are supported. This should be less confusing.

● The z-axis will now reach a home position before starting the level build plate script. Now you can more easily get your hands under the platform to start leveling.

FOR MAKERBOT THING-O-MATIC OWNERS

If you are a MakerBot Thing-O-Matic user, you might consider downloading Sailfish Firmware, developed by MakerBot Thingiverse rockstars and excellent community members Jetty and dnewman.

FULL RELEASE NOTES

MakerBot Firmware 7.2

• Support for the MakerBot Replicator 2X
  • S3G files are no longer visible on the SD card – only X3G files are supported
  • Some language changes and bug fixes
  • Home the z-axis before starting the level build plate script
  • Ability to reset the lifetime total field in Bot Statistics

MakerBot MakerWare 2.0

Help

• Set user’s type of MakerBot on first run of MakerBot MakerWare
  • Show help message the first time the user encounters a dual extrusion Thing

Viewing

• Set type of MakerBot to control build volume and dual extrusion tools
  • UI indicator for Type of MakerBot when not connected
  • Set object display colors

Print Setup

• Choose extruder on a dual extrusion MakerBot

Printing

• Connect to the MakerBot Replicator 2X
  • Print dual extrusion objects with the MakerBotReplicator Dual and the MakerBot Replicator 2X
  • Remember advanced settings as well as basic from last print
  • Offer to convert dual extrusion objects to single extrusion if a single extrusion bot type is selected
  • Remember last selected file export type and location

Slicing

• PLA and ABS have separate default profiles

Installation & Upgrades

• Linux installer now includes python-mock
  • There is a change to the repository URL for Linux users. Check the Linux install page for more information. This is a one-time change in order to upgrade to MakerBot MakerWare 2.0 and will not be required in the future.

Bug Fixes

• MakerBot Slicer fixes
    • Extra support material no longer added outside of objects
    • Improved quality in printing single-walled objects such as the Stretchy Bracelet
  • Correct temperature now shown inside MakerBot MakerWare during preheat

UPDATE! There is a known issue in MakerWare 2.0.1 for Windows users with AMD graphics cards. We’re tackling it and will have a release as soon as possible. If you are experiencing trouble with MakerWare 2.0.1, please download MakerWare 2.0.0 here.

• john west
    February 27, 2013 at 6:49 pm

So, once and for all, when is support for Thingomatics going to be released? You have promised us support. In this blog post, however, you’re now pointing us to an unsupported firmware upgrade, rather than giving any eta on Makerware support. Have you decided to abandon TOM owners after all? If so, say so. If, on the other hand, you’re going to keep your word and support us, give us an update on when it will be ready!

Thanks,
    John

• john west
    February 27, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Are you going to keep your word and support TOMs with Makerware or not? Why are you referring us to Sailfish? As per your page here:

[P] Can I use MakerWare with my Thing-O-Matic?
    [S] MakerWare Beta works with The Replicator and Replicator 2. Thing-O-Matic support will be available in the full release, coming early 2013.

You’re now on version 2, and still no support. Please provide us an update.

Thanks,
    John

ps. I have supported MakerBot. I even took samples with me two weeks ago and gave a talk to a school in Panama espousing all that a 3d printer could do for them, and showed them samples from my TOM. I hope those of us who started early with you can still trust that you’ll do what you say you’ll do.

• cf
    February 27, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Does this one have support for ToM’s yet, or is that still forthcoming?

• zenod
    February 27, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Please check XP install asap. Fails to recognise replicator 2 after install? Reboot, repower, restart service no help.

• Nanners
    February 27, 2013 at 10:20 pm

I think what they might be saying is that makerware when it is released with Thing-O-Matic support will probably best work for Thing-O-Matics running sailfish. Then again that might be these six cups of coffee talking

• john west
    February 27, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Nanners, no offense to you at all. My frustration is totally with them. They *could* be saying a lot of things – instead, they say nothing at all. They know TOM owners are waiting for the *early in 2013* to play out. I just don’t understand why they’d release a v2 of Makerware and not have TOM support yet.

Come on MakerBot, give us an update. Or do you just hope TOM owners will go away?

I’m sorry for sounding cynical, but I’m frustrated at the silence.

John

• Nathan L
    February 28, 2013 at 12:45 am

Hey guys good to hear more releases of the software coming out, seeing as how I plan on purchasing a Replicator 2 soon. But, I am having a hard time in Ubuntu Linux 12.10. Once I add the repository and add the signing key, I keep getting ”

W: Failed to fetch http://downloads.makerbot.com/makerware/ubuntu/dists/quantal/Release Unable to find expected entry ‘main/source/Sources’ in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

When i go to update software sources. Any way I can solve this? Maybe the new version hasnt been updated?

• sean
    February 28, 2013 at 3:07 am

they had to release V2 because they just ship the rep 2x, how would you feel if you got your $3000 bot and no software to print with. I thought about buying one but i see getting parts is getting harder and harder they are always out of stock or discontinued. Its time to move away from makerbot, and i have 2 tom’s. This must be only company you can’t get parts for your product and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better.

everything i own i can get parts for (washer, dryer, car, tv & coffee pot) but not my makerbot.

• Nanners
    February 28, 2013 at 7:26 am

John, I know, I’m just personally trying to stay positive(through the magic of caffeine) and keep my blood pressure down.

• Vincent Guerrero
    February 28, 2013 at 9:56 am

Are there plans to facilitate two different materials in one job?

• Laird Popkin
    February 28, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I’d think that if in the MakerWare 2.0 announcement they’re telling TOM owners to use Sailfish firmware, the implication is that MakerWare 2.0 will print to a TOM with the Sailfish firmware. I’ll admit that it’s odd that they didn’t say that outright, just imply it. But I don’t have a TOM to try.

• Beezos
    February 28, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Are these the complete release notes?

Can I consider the firmware changelist to be complete? Were there any general bugfixes that aren’t mentioned?

This is a good first step toward documenting your development! Thanks! :)

• kwalus
    March 1, 2013 at 3:20 am

Thanks for the update!

• ivc
    March 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Anyone else having problems connecting to their Replicator 1 using MakerWare 2.0? I’ve tried all the tricks but to no avail (reinstall MakerWare, removed device in device manager, restart computer, restart conveyour, restart makerbot, reconnect usb cable). Connects fine in ReplicatorG!

Andrew
    March 1, 2013 at 4:55 pm

@Ivc, hm, that isn’t something we’ve been seeing so far. Contact support@makerbot.com and we’ll get to the bottom of it. thanks!

• Don
    March 2, 2013 at 1:27 am

Please…..need an option in Makerware to switch OFF INTERNAL SUPPORTS, just as in RepG…..then MakerWare software will do all I need.
    Thanks
    Don

• Richie
    March 2, 2013 at 9:52 am

>that isn’t something we’ve been seeing so far

Well, I’m the third person experiencing this same problem. It makes the USB connect sound, but doesn’t indicate on the MakerWare screen that the Rep2 is connected. I think it’s another Window’s XP thing.

• zenod
    March 2, 2013 at 6:57 pm

@Richie

it seems to be XP related and here’s a hint. The installation process is a bit weird. It reinstalls everything except the makerbot drivers. In my computer I had several sets of old drivers installed.

If you have a working installation on XP then leave matters as they are and wait for the fix from MBI.

When I removed all traces of makerbot software from my m/c then the previous version 1….v67 also fails to connect to XP.

The previous release 1…V67 can be fixed by changing the driver .inf file to use VID 23C and PID B0751. If you can’t work this out then wait for MBI to provide a fix.

This version does not connect even when the VID/PID fix above is applied.

The underlying problem is that the functionality test at the end of the install uses a virtual environment so the drivers never get exercised for real in the XP environment.

The information above is purely an opinion, it is not intended to be a acted upon by anyone nor does it represent a “fix” to the issue.

• Rassilon
    March 3, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I’m experiencing this same problem. It makes the USB connect sound, but doesn’t indicate on the MakerWare screen that the Rep2 is connected.

• Darrell
    March 4, 2013 at 11:52 pm

In response to ivc, MW is communicating fine with my Replicator 1 via USB.
    However, dualstrusion is making side by side pendant parts, instead of their being integrated. I opened a support ticket.

• Erwin
    March 7, 2013 at 2:24 am

Where is the TOM Support?

• Tyler
    March 9, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Is there a way to change the heated build platform temp (HBP) when printing in PLA? I’m having trouble with my PLA prints lifting and I’d like to turn on the HBP a bit on my Rep 2x so that the bottom of the print can stay warm for the duration of the print (40-60 degrees or so).

HBP temp is grayed out with PLA selected, so I tried selecting ABS and changing the HBP temp to 60. That didn’t work for some reason because my extruder would start slipping every 4th or 5th layer requiring me to unload/reload the extruder. So it seems that there are differences in the xg3 code produced by PLA vs ABS profiles that go beyond HBP options. Which would make sense.

So back to my original question, how can I bump the HBP temp up to 60 degrees for PLA prints?

• bonooobong
    March 10, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I’ve just got my Replicator2 in january in since than it’s been printing continuously:) I guess that the FDM technology is getting better every week, with the new desktop 3D printers you can print with a layer height of less than 0.1mm which produces beautiful and smooth curved surfaces as well. Check out my blog about my experiments and timelapse videos about my 3D printing experiences and parametric design;)
    Btw I’m having some issues updating my Firmware to the new one. I’ve already installed MakerWare 2.0, but when I want to update my Firmware from the Makerware menu, I always get the message “Error: task failed”. Any suggestions?

• Ivan Seidel Gomes
    March 12, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Hi, while installing and opening MakerWare 2.0 i found this log on my Mac, that doesen’t allows me to connect to the makerbot, but i can add objects to the 3D plataform.

3/12/13 5:11:10.278 PM MakerWare[33718]: CoreText: Invalid ‘kern’ Subtable In CTFont
    CTFontDescriptor <attributes: {type = mutable dict, count = 1,
    entries =>
    2 : {contents = “NSFontNameAttribute”} = {contents = “OpenSans”}
    }

• Chris Baer
    March 13, 2013 at 8:00 am

I get an error when installing Bundle 2.0.0.161 on any of our iMacs. (We have a lab full all running 10.6.8 – all Intel Core 2 Duos.)

“The Installation failed. The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer …”

Nevertheless it still seems to install.

But when I run the program I get a new error: “Service Error. There was an error connecting to the job management service….”

I can run the software but can’t seem to Make or Export. The “Service Error” sign is lit in the corner.

Help!

• Chris Baer
    March 14, 2013 at 8:17 am

P.S. I can’t get it to install on any of a variety of different Macs I’ve tried (all 10.6.)

Is 1.1.2 still available for download? Maybe an older version will work?

To reiterate, I can use the MakerWare 2.0 software after installation, but I can’t Make or Export. Under “Export to a File” the “Export For:” and “Export!” buttons are greyed out. Is there a way to manually set the “Export For”? If I could export an X3G, I could just put it on the flashcard.

Thanks!

• Rune Noël
    March 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm

i have the same problem as Chris. would love to get a fix. (mac OS)

• bonooobong
    March 17, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I also use Snow Leo…this issue should be fixed ASAP the older MakerWare ran very well I can’t figure out what’s going on. And honestly, I don’t have time for browsing log files. help

• Mark Durbin
    March 18, 2013 at 6:16 pm

2.0.1 download references this blog entry for release notes. Could you please update it so we can see the release notes for 2.0.1?

• xin
    March 18, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Hi, the new mac version 2.0.1 installer has problem. It is not be able to install at all. Well, there just says a error occurs, no details provided. Is there any other working version could use in mac system? my operating system is OS X Version 10.8.3

Thanks!

• david
    March 19, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Sure would be nice to have a link back to previous versions of makerware.

As for the service error, I was given the following to commands to run from terminal, and it fixed the service error….

For your macs, I may have an immediate solution. Try opening a command line and running these:

sudo rm /var/tmp/conveyord.pid

And

sudo rm /var/tmp/conveyord.socket

that fixed the service error for ME…

Andrew
    March 19, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Hi all, thanks for chiming in! There is a known issue (known thanks in part to you great users) for Windows users with AMD graphics cards. We’re tackling it and will have a release as soon as possible. In the meantime, please use the link below to MakerWare 2.0.0 if this problem is affecting you. I will also update this post.
    The release notes for MakerWare 2.0.1 are available on the blog now.

• brandon
    March 21, 2013 at 5:21 pm

@david

Thanks! Fixed my problem!

• Rune Noël
    April 15, 2013 at 7:16 pm

This is getting very frustrating. please make this stuff work……. *sigh*

• Jonathan
    May 24, 2013 at 5:00 am

Does anyone else have problem with makerware while trying to export files with the fail message of “Communication Error, Uncaught exception”?

Have tried to reinstall and have also tested different computer with the same results.

Im running on a PC win 7 64 bit.

Anyone?

• Cristian Reichert
    June 13, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Jonathan,

I had the same problem, when I pressed “MAKE”. It happens when you open a *.thing file with special characters, like á, é, í ,ó, ú, ñ, etc.

Hope this helps you!
    Best Regards.

• Shaylana
    June 17, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Some files end up floating off of the platform in Makerware after rotating them. We need a drop object function, or to have Makerware check to make sure the object is on the platform after editing — similar to what it does when you first open a file.

If it’s there, can someone help me out?

Thanks!

• Eugene Corkett
    October 22, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I have recently downloaded version 2 of the software to run my makerbot 2X.
    But when try to print the machine stops, and the LEDs flash red and a message tells me that the temperature has been exceeded.

• steve
    January 20, 2014 at 3:59 pm

did anyone post a fix for the” Error task failed” when trying to upgrade firmware?

Open Support Case