New Dual Extrusion Test Prints

MakerBot Replicator 2X Experimental 3D Printers have started shipping, so let’s talk a little bit about what some of you are about to get in the mail. In particular, there’s an SD card that you won’t want to miss and we want you to know that you can expect two boxes in the mail.

The SD card in a new MakerBot always has a set of objects that we love to make. They also serve as great test prints for you while you get started. In the case of the MakerBot Replicator 2X, we’ve added some pretty cool dual extrusion models to the regular list: Pet monster Valentine by Andreas; Traffic Cone by CocoNut; MakerBot Cupcake by MakerBot; MakerBot Pendant by MakerBot.

We made the MakerBot Replicator 2X as an experimental 3D printer, and dual extrusion will not be the easiest thing you’ve ever done because printing in two colors simultaneously on a MakerBot is still experimental. It’s come a long way since we launched the original Replicator, but you’ll still see some artifacts in dual extrusion prints.

Check out the images below and remember that we are continually improving our software and hardware, and the number one thing you can do to ensure you have the best MakerBot experience is to stay up-to-date with new MakerWare and Firmware releases.

MB_rep2x_deposit

Here you can see what we call a deposit. It happens during the last 1% of a print cycle when it switches colors and when it happens, an extra amount of heated ABS is extruded on the top of your model. You can remove these pretty easily, but doing so may affect the appearance of your print.

MB_rep2x_zipper

These lines on the side of your object, which we call zippers, will always be vertical. That’s because they occur at the transition point from one layer to the next. Sometimes they are a little rough, and sometimes smooth. Any small nodules can be removed, but again, doing so may affect the appearance of your print.

We’ve worked hard to minimize these artifacts and we’ll keep working on minimizing them. As a purchaser of an experimental printer, you’re on the adventure with us and we can’t wait to see what you’ll make. Please share all your thoughts and feedback (there’s been a ton already!) through our general feedback line, thoughts@makerbot.com. Also, when you share your models on Thingiverse, please use the tag “dualstrusion” so we can see what you’ve been up to!

• Vincent Guerrero
    February 27, 2013 at 10:32 am

We have a Replicator 2X on order. Have you been successful with using one head for PVA soluble support with a PLA build? If so, are there any default or recommended settings for Makerware? Thanks.

• bonooobong
    February 27, 2013 at 11:29 am

Nice prints, they don’t look as bad as I expected because of the experimental status, I really think about to purchase an X2 next to my Replicator2,printing with several colors can be so much fun! Are these dual extrusion printers available for print supports with soluble filament?

• Ron @ CHMER EDM
    February 27, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I think its great that you can do multiple colors in the printing now. I’m sure the little zippers and deposits can be corrected with some software updates or work-arounds.

• Michael Harrison
    February 28, 2013 at 11:02 am

I have been reading lots of information on 3D printers and although I will buy one before long I am holding off until the technology moves along a bit. I can see a great future for these printers that will make so many things possible, things we have not even thought or even dreamed about yet!

Its quite mind boggling to think how it will change so many things when 3D printing becomes mainstream and we all have them at home. I read recently that Nokia are already releasing 3D printing plans with the new Lumia phone so the user can create their own case printed on a 3D printer, not a lot of point at the moment as hardly anyone actually has 3D printing capability but it does show that the large companies are keeping an eye on the developments of the 3D printer technology, no doubt eagerly waiting to pounce and flood the market.

A few years ago actually printing 3D objects was just hypothetical ideas that were for the future…..well the future is here….right now!….Exciting stuff!

• Gridlock
    March 9, 2013 at 2:14 am

Maybe the Makerbot needs a 3rd “blending tip”? All it has is a rounded heated non-stick surface that heats the plastic, smooths out the line stair-stepping (like a hot dot icing cake spatula), and keeps the layer blends looking great.

• Gmo
    March 29, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I’m waiting for my replicator 2X and in the excitement I’ve been telling my 10 year old about it. He came up with a pretty cool idea for a multi-color printer (not just two colors) It is rather simple that a 10 year old can conceptualize that most of us my just overlook because we lost the child in us some time ago. I don’t want to develop it my self, so I’m willing to shoot an email to you guys if interested.

• jenefer
    July 30, 2013 at 7:16 am

That’s very nice and interesting. experimental 3D printer is really challenging deal to print different colors in it.