NEW: MakerWare 1.1 and MakerBot Firmware 7.0

We’re excited to announce the next step forward for our software with the release of  MakerWare 1.1 and MakerBot Firmware 7.0!

What’s New In MakerBot Firmware 7.0?

MakerBot Firmware 7.0 includes greatly improved acceleration, using contributions from our rockstar community members, Jetty and dnewman, to allow for smoother movements, better quality on high-detail prints, and a quieter machine.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Firmware 7.0 uses a new file format, X3G, for printing from an SD card. You can export X3G files from MakerWare 1.1 or ReplicatorG 40.
X3G files are NOT compatible with firmware earlier than 7.0. If you are using Firmware 6.2 or earlier, you must choose to export S3G files.

What’s New In MakerWare 1.1?

• Major print quality improvements in MakerBot Slicer (formerly known as “Miracle Grue”) make it significantly faster and more accurate in slicing and printing detailed models on the Low and Medium settings.
  • Slicing profiles for Skeinforge and MakerBot Slicer are now fully editable! Customizing slicing profiles is recommended for advanced users only, but if you’re ready to take the plunge, see our Advanced Settings documentation to get started.
  • Automatically arrange a cluttered build plate using the Auto Layout option – choose Edit -> Auto Layout All or press Ctrl-L.
  • Many other small improvements and bug fixes! See the complete list below the fold if you’re interested.

How Do I Get Up To Date?

Please download the latest version of MakerWare (you can grab it here) before attempting to install new Firmware. You can upload the most recent Firmware from inside MakerWare via the Bots -> Upload Firmware .
Read on to see the full Firmware 7.0 and MakerWare 1.1 Feature List.
Firmware 7.0
  • Greatly improved acceleration:
    • Better quality on detailed prints
    • Fixed many small bugs
    • Stepper motion is smoother and quieter
  • Heaters default to staying on more often, option to keep heaters on when cancelling
Makerware 1.1

Files

• Separate ‘Open’ & ‘Add’ options
  • Open/save files from last location
  • File -> Open Recent options
  • Better handling of broken files

Viewing

• Resize the platform to match your bot type
  • Configure object colors shown

Print Setup

• Auto layout
  • Object checks on open:
    • Is it on the platform?
    • Is it too small?
  • Select/Deselect All
  • Scale -> Max Size button
  • Improved drag transformations
  • Ctrl-Drag for rotation snapped to grid
Printing
  • Support for improved firmware acceleration (X3G)
  • Default to settings from last print
  • Improved print/export dialog UI
Slicing
  • UI features:
    • Custom slice profiles
    • Cancel during slicing
    • Better feedback during long slices
  • MakerBot Slicer features:
    • Major quality improvements to fine detail prints
    • Better handling of objects with thin walls
    • Zero infill produces hollow objects without strings
    • Configurable infill-shell overlap produces smoother outlines
    • Overall speed & performance improvements:
      • Slices without support almost twice as fast
      • Slices with support many times faster
Installation & Upgrades
  • Both Mac & Windows:
    • Install without an internet connection
    • Show release message on first run
    • Code signing
  • Mac:
    • No need to drag the app to the trash to upgrade
    • Uninstaller now included
  • Windows:
    • Checks for MakerWare already running when install starts
    • Can safely install on systems with 64-bit installations of Python
    • Improved installer logging
Bug Fixes:
  • Repeated folder inside Examples menu
  • Freeze on opening an object on some Mac systems
  • STL files saving with .thing extension on Macs
  • Objects not selectable on some Windows systems
  • Black bar at the bottom of the window on some Windows systems

UPDATE! The Windows registry bug that some users experienced when installing MakerWare 1.1 has been fixed! We are very sorry for the inconvenience and standing by to help you resolve the issue. MakerWare 1.1.1 is now available for download for Windows users. If you need any help fixing this install error, please contact [email protected].

• Nanners
    January 7, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Does this release add ToM compatibility?

• ErikJDurwoodII
    January 7, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Now We’re talkin’!

No more disabling driver signature enforcement in Windows 8 64!

• dim
    January 7, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Uploading the new firmware from the maker ware 1.1 is not working on MAC

i have some ERROR Value

• Louis Gilibert Mary
    January 7, 2013 at 5:45 pm

What about the Thing-o-Matic support?

• Mark Durbin
    January 7, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Great, thanks for the release notes!

• Big-E
    January 7, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I like it! My Rep2 runs like silk and prints even better. Keep it up guys! You’ve made me a happy camper again!

If you haven’t upgraded yet, do it!

• DC
    January 7, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Thing-O-Matic support?

• TommyLin
    January 8, 2013 at 6:58 am

when i download file, still got old version 1.0.3.18 in Mac..

• Ken
    January 8, 2013 at 10:04 am

Will the firmware still print s3g files or x3g only? I fear updating because I have I lot of s3g files on SD card I still use.

• Peter
    January 8, 2013 at 10:51 am

Where is the 1.1.0 version for Mac on the website the downloads area still has the old version on it?

• dnewman
    January 8, 2013 at 12:01 pm

@Ken: take the gcode for those s3g files and regenerate the x3g. Difference is that x3g contains a new accelerated move command. The old move commands will be run unaccelerated which is okay if they are slow (~40 mm/s or less). But if they are fast, you don’t want them run unaccelerated.

• Gregg
    January 8, 2013 at 3:10 pm

• Fuchur | PW3d
    January 8, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Seems to have some very nice improvements. I especially like the ability to save own presets and the very fast slicing. Nicely done… the update was flawless (even the firmware-update was easy and fast)

My Makerbot Replicator 2 runs well with it!
    Well done Makerbot-Team!

• Raul_G
    January 9, 2013 at 1:27 am

Hi! I am on a Replicator 2, but just in case, wanted to ask how do I perform the required “reset” for the firmware to the be updated? my bot doesn´t appear to have a reset button…is it via the LCD panel?

• Erwin
    January 9, 2013 at 3:11 am

Thing-O-Matic support?

• carsten
    January 9, 2013 at 7:56 am

yep it is fast – until now i love it -

• Jetguy
    January 9, 2013 at 8:29 am

So this is covered over in the Makerbot Operators group but for those with Replicators that have the heated bed, if you generate gcode using the PLA profile, we seem to have identified it doesn’t heat the bed even though it shows HBP temperatures in the settings. Switching to ABS fixes this and then just manually adjust the default temps to those you use for PLA.

Minor bug, but if you don’t know about it, would make you very upset as obviously, your print won’t stick to non-heated kapton tape.

• Thijs
    January 9, 2013 at 1:58 pm

How can I install the new firmware on my replicator 2 without a reset button? Because as far as I can tell it does not have a reset button…

Melody
      January 9, 2013 at 2:24 pm

@ Thijs — the firmware update process for the Replicator 2 doesn’t require you to press a reset button.

• AndyNu
    January 9, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Delighted and impressed. Quiet, fast (parallel slicing/printing!), smoother medium quality prints. Well done!

• Eric Donelson
    January 9, 2013 at 7:08 pm

“Gregg January 8, 2013 at 3:10 pm

This installer crashes badly for me in XP – then breaks the LNK’s for all your desktop shortcuts (???) – i.e. you can no longer doubleclick a program shortcut – around the time the uninstaller is written. My Makerware is gone; where can I find an earlier version?”

Quoting Gregg here because I’m experiencing the same (nasty) bug in XP. Had to system-restore to get my system to function normally…which of course wiped out the makerware install.

Hopefully you can fix this bug soon :/

• Brad
    January 12, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Makerware 1.1.0.51 for the Mac downloads fine, but selecting Upload Firmware only offers up to version 6.2 for my dual-extrusion Replicator.

• Arthur
    January 14, 2013 at 11:44 am

No more choice of material for Replicator2?

• Leif
    January 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Also experiencing the bad XP install bug with 1.1.0. :(
    Buckets of sad-sauce

Wiped out the old version, can’t install the new version, and now can’t even install the old version WTF !!! System restore, here I come I guess.

• Richie
    January 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Please hurry and fix the XP installer. I REALLY want to check out the improvements / bug fixes. – thankyou !

Andrew
    January 15, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Gregg, Eric, Richie, and others, thank you for your patience! There’s an update on this blog post now. The Software Team has fixed this issue and released MakerWare 1.1.1 for Windows customers. If you need any help rectifying the problem, please do get a hold of [email protected] and they will walk you through the steps.

• Marco
    January 16, 2013 at 9:10 am

What’s wrong?
    I’ve installed the firmware update, and makerware update. Nothing now works. I cannot print. The printer screws up everything.
    Had to downgrade, very upset!

• Richie
    January 16, 2013 at 1:02 pm

WOW !!!!!

Massive improvements in every way :)

• Bart
    January 16, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Any idea when the support generation bug is solved? I mean the extra support walls parallel to objects (where no overhang is) in addition to the normal support generated?
    Bart

• Ryan
    January 18, 2013 at 10:12 am

Anyone migrating from sailfish to firmware 7? I’m so happy with sailfish, but would enjoy using makerwave.

Will gcode produced by makerwave now work with sailfish?

• Kirk
    January 18, 2013 at 11:11 am

Tried updating the Firmware to 7.0 unsuccessfully and now I can’t connect with my Replicator at all. I have two rows of black rectangles, and that’s it. Tried pushing the reset button in the back, to no effect. What to do.

• John
    January 19, 2013 at 4:00 pm

There should be a HUGE WARNING that you should not run the sg3 codes on the 7.0 release. It said that nowhere on the download page (though I did read it somewhere else late). My Replicator 2 jumped off the stand it was on and landed on the concrete floor, breaking part of the case. I didn’t see it happen as it was in a different room. Afterwords I found somewhere that it said it would have abrupt movements.

• brianho
    January 23, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I don’t know why, but my Replicator Dual after upgrade (using replicatorG) then become a replicator single. I used Makerware cross check, my machine also only recognized as a “Replicator Single” instead. Need help!!!!

• master
    January 25, 2013 at 7:01 am

@ Eric DonelsonJanuary 9, 2013 at 7:08 pm
    @ Gregg January 8, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Same happened to me on XP. Installer failed and destroyed my PC. Desktop icons click stopped working. Quick access icon gone. Most programs with internet connection stopped working including my Sophos antivirus prog. Search wouldn’t work. etc etc etc and no restore points to go back to? Even my PC department gave up trying to fix it and just wiped it and installed W7.

• Brian Ho
    January 27, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I wrote more then 3 messages to support, But after 10days I receive nothing from them. Even no echo from them yet. I am very frustrated. This is much different then last year I bought the replicator. when My Replicator Dual can be back??

• Nathan
    February 7, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Had some issues with printing some things with this firmware (I have a replicator 2):

* have encountered really jarring violent movement with previously fine prints – as per the other guy who had it jump off the table – it did seem like it would damage things.
    * have some prints that just refuse to print – either on the first or second layers the thing just jams and then eventually the replicator will shut down. Notice that the display on the front of the replicator2 slows to a crawl prior to this.
    * had one print stop and then start stepping up the z axis diagonally off “up into the sky”. Tried various settings for slicing and no joy.

Think there’s some major problem with the firmware or the slicing algorithm or both. Which is a pity because it feels like it’s taken a big leap forward – but I never had the thing jam up and shut down on prints and just refuse to print them on the old one.

• Brian
    February 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm

@kirk I have same problem. Did you find a fix?

• kay
    February 18, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Running in Windows 7. Everything runs fine except I get some voids in my parts on the fine setting. Theses parts are small.

• john
    March 2, 2013 at 10:37 am

my rep 2 wont connect to my computer after the update WTF

All products in your cart at the time of purchase will qualify for the special financing promotion if purchased with Dell Preferred Account between 10-30-2014 through 11/25/2014.