Software Update! Fixing “Roofing” Issues In MakerWare

Last Thursday, most of us said a little thanks for the roofs over our heads. Now we can be thankful for the roofs over our 3D things!

Our Software Team has just released MakerWare version 1.0.3., which solves an issue with the “roofing” of a model when using the High resolution setting. In the previous version of MakerWare, a glitch was causing models sliced at the High resolution setting to have holes and weak spots in the top layers. Version 1.0.3 fixes that issue. The piece on the left was made before the update, and the piece on the right was made after the update.

If you mostly use the Low or Medium resolution settings, don’t worry, this won’t change anything for you. If you were shying away from High resolution in MakerWare because of the roofing issue, try MakerWare version 1.0.3 and see if it solves the problem. You can either download the latest version from our website, or simply choose to download it the next time you open MakerWare on your computer.

As always, if you need a helping hand, be sure to reach out to our Support Team.

• Laird Popkin
    November 27, 2012 at 8:45 am

So what exactly was the change? Was it a Skeinforge profile change, which people who use ReplicatorG can also take advantage of?

• MakeALot
    November 27, 2012 at 9:06 am

Is this the only change? I note the welcome addition of clipboard use, are there release notes? Save me trying everything out.

BTW, small glitch on paste, inserting further and further to the right (work around – press reset position after paste or rotate into view, select and centre)

• SuperSonicMonkey
    November 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I’m getting 5% reduction in XY size (but not Z) when exporting to, and printing from, SD card. Is this fixed in 1.0.3 ? The result is tall thin versions of the models that print fine when directly connected to a computer. Same amount of material (weight).

• Jetguy
    November 28, 2012 at 2:23 pm

So where is the amazing update to let Makerware work on the T-O-M? I seem to remember that being promised a while back?

• SuperSonicMonkey
    November 28, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Scratch that – it was because I was selecting Replicator 2 rather than Replicator Dual for the printer profile. Thanks to Alex in MakerBot support for helping me out with that one.

• Nathan
    December 2, 2012 at 2:55 am

Excellent.. Yes, this was a reason I was frustrated trying to use high resolution.

Thanks for your efforts guys..

Any other changes to look out for?

• Mike
    December 3, 2012 at 1:02 am

I think I am having some issues with the new makerware.

When I try to create the s3g for anything with supports, the slicing hangs/freezes. This if true for all parts with overhanging features that require support/scaffolding

I am using the medium miraclegru setting usually, but the problem occurs for all settings, both replicator 1 & 2, and both PLA & ABS. It is also consistent for two of my windows 7 computers. (Have not tried in linux yet, but I may soon)

For the time being, I have been using replicatorg to continue my project, but the scaffolding method is much less desirable to me than the scaffolding used in makerware.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Melody
    December 3, 2012 at 10:59 am

@ Mike — I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Email support@makerbot.com and we’ll see if we can figure out what’s going on.

Open Support Case