Our Biggest Week. Our Biggest Thanks.

Yesterday was an amazing day for the MakerBot community and those of us here at the MakerBot headquarters. Today we’re back to business as usual, focusing on shipping world class desktop 3D printers and software that will keep taking all of us to the next level.

Meanwhile the world has been tweeting up a storm, and we’ve gotten some amazing coverage of the MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer and our brand new MakerBot Store.

WOW. Our engineers, programmers, productors, and support staff have worked so hard for this moment, and we are overwhelmed by these reactions. Thank you to all of these publications for taking the time to write about our developments and to all of you for your incredible support. Your spirit keeps us going.

A sampling:

The Verge
Treehugger
Uncrate
Venture Beat

• Lasivian
    September 20, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Yes, certainly. I’m sure your investors want to get this little hiccup called “Open Source” off your plate as soon as possible.

• Jack
    September 20, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Glad you had a great day and hope the company keeps growing.
    Im going to be in the market for a 3D printer aswell but need the parts to be a bit stronger looks like. Maybe there will be a spray or a solution I could dip the
    part into to make it stronger.
    Anyway Im happy for you and the company.
    Nice to see it here in the USA.

• M. Jared Swenson
    September 20, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I’m going to have to be honest with you guys. I have been following the makerbot’s progress for a long time now, and am loving every bit of it. You guys are amazing innovators and I love that about all of you. I have a resolved that when (not if, but when) I ever get a 3d printer, it will be a Makerbot.

However while the news of the Replicator 2 excites me, it also saddens me. I have been saving up little by little for a while now. I do not have a lot of money and due to family obligations i cant invest a lot of money in this, so i have been saving slowly. As im saving money, newer generations have been coming out and older generations made unavailable, and the newer printers keep getting more and more expensive. Everytime you guys announce a new model, it seems to be getting further and further out of reach. I originally believed in your ideal of a “3d printer in every home” but right now that does not appear to be your goal. Your product keeps climbing in price, and therefor my dream of owning one and starting a small business off of one gets farther and farther away.

I really really do want to get a 3d printer, but you guys are making it harder for me to keep brand loyalty. I’m not angered or trying to reprimand, I’m just voicing my concern.

• Propellerscience
    September 20, 2012 at 11:20 pm

It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

• JWW
    September 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I have the same concerns as M.J.Swenson. I too have been eagerly following the Makerbot ever since it’s debut with dreams of one day being able to own one. I also have excitedly watched the improvements from higher resolution to heated work surfaces making the device even more versatile and useful with every iteration. I normally upgrade my computer systems at home every 2-3 years with some high-quality parts, I’d been saving and planning on skipping an upgrade cycle in order to get a makerbot, but this new price has put it out of reach for several years more. I’m very sad to say that I also may need to consider looking for alternatives. Please consider keeping the original makerbot available as an entry level device for those of us that don’t need or can’t afford the newest shiny, black ‘bot.

• anonymous
    September 23, 2012 at 10:05 am

peace

• J J
    September 23, 2012 at 2:22 pm

The device seems very cool and I think I will probably want to have one myself one day.

What I think would make it more interesting is if it could:
    1. print on electrically selectively conductive material
    2. print or carve details of the height of around 50nm. This does not necessarily have to include the ADDITION of a small layer of material but the REMOVAL of a small layer from around the 50nm structure.

Admittedly this type of stuff is still in its infancy elsewhere. But they would (once issues related to them are sorted out) make the machine much more versatile.

Besides these I think MakerBot could well survive with services built around the device. For example some type of market place for patterns that can be used in the software to build more complex structures.

The main thing in my opinion is though not adherence to a specific philosophy such as open source as much as that the company stays in business. Would be unfortunate to see the technology stagnate or disappear (which will eventually happen with e.g. OpenMoko because the devices will no longer be available).

• J J
    September 23, 2012 at 2:40 pm

BTW do you have a means of reusing the products made in PLA plastic, for example by re-heating and melting them? If that was possible, I think there could be some market for a device that makes it possible (e.g. some container into which the plastic can be placed for melting).

• Craig
    September 24, 2012 at 2:20 am

Hi guys, this is just awesome, the product and resolution looks fantastic. So stoked for you. Now I just need one ASAP. I just hope you can stick to the 4-6 week delivery time as I need one asap and I’m in New Zealand. Please keep us posted with realistic delivery times, (Im not saying they aren’t realistic) but if they change please tell us. Thanks.

• Daniel
    September 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I have been following the makerbot printers since the beginning but never been impressed with the quality of the printed objects. I did find the concept of 3d printing a world changing concept though.

Now with the replicator 2 I had that falling sensation you get when you realize a point in history is being written, that everything will be different after this. Good job, guys.

• 7777773
    September 26, 2012 at 4:43 pm

@JJ – Check out the Filabot. It’s still a beta product, but it does exactly what you are looking for and more (They’ve printed using recycled milk and soda bottles, for example).