Bre Pettis at the Open Hardware Summit

Next week at the Open Hardware Summit, I’ll focus on the overlap of sustainable business practices and a culture of sharing. I’m really looking forward to the discussions that will come out of that. I’ll talk about navigating clones, venture capital, and the approach that MakerBot is exploring in order to create a sustainable business with a mission to bring 3D printers to the masses while maintaining an ethos of sharing.

While at the summit, I am particularly interested in hearing stories of consumer focused hardware businesses that are scaling from a small business to medium or large businesses. If you know stories of hardware companies that support sharing and have gone big, whether they succeeded or failed, find me at the summit or leave the stories in the comments here or send them to sharing@makerbot.com.

• Rob Myers
    September 20, 2012 at 10:21 am

On the subject of Open Hardware, when will the source code for the Makerware GUI and the designs for the Replicator2 be available?

• PropellerScience
    September 20, 2012 at 11:57 am

I’d be interested in hearing that talk. There’s quite a bit of talk about Makerbot today as I’m sure you know.

• MTO
    September 20, 2012 at 2:15 pm

When the replicator was first released, there were accusations of Makerbot “losing the OSH religion”; accusations which turned out to be premature. I’m giving Makerbot the benefit of the doubt here, and really wish people would calm down. “…bring 3D printers to the masses while maintaining an ethos of sharing” sounds like a company trying to find a middle ground, not someone slamming a door.

• davr
    September 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Amusing that he’s giving a talk at the Open Hardware Summit, since Makerbot got its start using designs based on open hardware, and then later switched to a completely closed model.

Miles
    September 20, 2012 at 3:53 pm

The phrase “consumer focused” pretty much eliminates the usual suspects – Arduino, RepRap, WikiSpeed, etc. – as these are targeted at the DIY and hobbyist markets.. I think once again MakerBot is on the bleeding edge – this time not only of technology, but also business models.

• Colecoman1982
    September 20, 2012 at 7:49 pm

@MTO: I think a “middle ground” would be a lot more acceptable to most people if they had started from a design that was completely their own rather than using the hard work and good will of a community to get themselves to where they are and then turning around and close-sourcing their product.

There may not be anything illegal about it (unless the claims of GPL violation in their software turn out to be true), but that doesn’t mean we still have to accept them as part of the Open Hardware community. I sincerely hope they come to their senses and cut this non-sense out.

• Pieter Bos
    September 21, 2012 at 10:47 am

@Bre First of all nice new printer dude ;-) not for me (price tag) but nice printer anyway.
    Open or closed (i think it should be a bit of both) open enough to hack, closed enough not to get stolen (and kill makerbot’s business). But its a difficult question to answer so good luck with that. Hope you will find the right balance.

• pepe
    September 23, 2012 at 5:40 am

Makebot should cancel the talk in the Open Hardware Summit, since you not open anymore not wanted to release Replicator 2. You should move to corporative fairs if other corporate business.