A Whole New MakerBot: Introducing Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer

Today we reached new heights. If you didn’t catch our livestream, MakerBot CEO Bre Pettis ran down a series of announcements, and we’ll do our best to highlight all of them on the blog. In the meantime, tweet your questions to @makerbot, email us at tips@makerbot.com, and leave all your comments and thoughts here on the blog.

Ladies and gentlemen of the MakerSphere, meet the MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer.

We launched the original Replicator at CES this year, and since then we’ve been listening to the feedback of our incredible community. We’ve watched this community grow to include moms and dads, teachers, artists, and an exploding number of bold professionals. We’ve always been blown away by our users, but this latter group sparked new inspiration. We saw what the professionals were doing and set out to make a machine for their needs. It’s not a surprise that our own army of engineers understand these needs pretty well. Here’s Bre:

The Replicator 2 introduces the world of prosumer 3D printing. We made it stronger, faster, and finer than the original Replicator, and we optimized it to work with MakerBot PLA Filament. We also blew up the build volume without making the machine itself any bigger. The MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer is, as the name suggests, a desktop machine, not a it-needs-its-own-room machine. It’s going to fit nicely where you need it and look amazing while it works.

But what’s under the hood?

WHAT’S NEW

• 100-micron layer resolution – If you know our machines or 3D printing in general, you understand this advancement. The original Replicator was tuned for a 270-micron layer height. 100 microns is nearly three times finer than before, which means the layers are even harder to see and feel. For those keeping score, 100 microns is also a good bit finer than the output on some much more expensive machines.
  • Huge 410 cubic inch build volume – MakerBot desktop 3D printers have never had a build volume this big. When we learned more about PLA, which works beautifully with huge builds, we knew we had to increase the build volume. This is 37% larger than the original Replicator. You can make entire projects on one build plate.
  • Optimized for MakerBot PLA – Polylactic Acid, derived from corn, has been in our repertoire for a little while, but now we’ve discovered its full power. It doesn’t have an odor, it sticks without sliding, and it makes beautiful things. That’s all there is to it.
  • Sleek, sturdy steel – The powder-coated steel frame of the MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer gives it all the strength it needs for high print speeds. Plus it’s resistant to changes in temperature and humidity.
  • Smart new parts — The acrylic build plate pops out for you to grab things easier, and the bearings are oil-infused so you spend less time on maintenance.

We’re Not Done Yet

Those are the basics of the MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer, but keep in mind that a world class 3D printer needs world class software. So our software department’s been pretty busy too. Introducing MakerWare, developed right here at MakerBot by people who know the ins and outs of the desktop 3D printing workflow as well as anyone.

Look how pretty and simple this new application is. Our UX team has tested the patterns of this process to put the controls in all the right places. Now you can open multiple STL or OBJ (yes, OBJ!) files at once, even if they’re totally unrelated. You can scale individual pieces together or separately, and save any number of items together as a THING file, our new file format for projects. The MakerWare interface is coupled with other important bits of software that let your MakerBot behave just like a 2D printer. This means you can set something to print in the background and let it go.

MakerWare also simplifies a lot of the decision making. For example, when it comes to choose print settings, you can select preset printing profiles for High, Medium, or Low quality. Finally, MakerWare includes the new slicing engine Miracle Grue, built by MakerBot software engineers. This algorithm prepares models up to 20 times faster (you read that right: 20X) than Skeinforge. For the super enthusiasts, Miracle Grue also defines a much more efficient toolpath, meaning there are fewer stops and starts in the printing process, which makes for more consistent prints overall.

We hope you’ll put one of these in your office or home office today and start making the things of the future.

Tagged with , , 21 comments

• Safeserps
    September 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I watched the presentation live, wow, all I can say is it looks awesome, 100 micron resolution, huge build volume, easy to use and reliable!

Glad I waited to listen to your announcement before I ordered, here’s hoping we’ll have the first Replicator 2 in the UK.

Thanks Makerbot from Safeserps

• palenoue
    September 19, 2012 at 9:29 pm

If you want to sell a million units you need to make a video showing how it could be used to make toys. Get some bare-bones RC car chassis, work up a basic generic car model, then invite a bunch of kids and their parents into your shop and film them designing car bodies from the kid’s ideas, printing them out then racing them around the parking lot.

This will show parents that the Replicator 2 is the ideal “toy factory” for their kids.

• MakerBot launches Replicator 2 3D printer « Ponoko – Blog
    September 20, 2012 at 5:30 am

[...] Via MakerBot [...]

• Carlos
    September 20, 2012 at 7:36 am

It says it is optimized for PLA, but can we print using ABS with the Replicator 2? More colour is needed!

Melody
      September 20, 2012 at 10:05 am

@ Carlos — Replicator 2 is built for use with PLA, so we didn’t add a heated build platform. Check out the features and specs on Replicator 2’s store page.

• Dojan
    September 20, 2012 at 8:22 am

There are some disturbing rumors around stating that you guys are going close source: And you don’t mention open sourciness at all in this presentation. I’m really concerned! We (the 3D/RepRap community) really supported you guys for making our open source dreams a reality, but If you are going closed source… I don’t even know where to begin. WTF guys?!? Why? It really feels like being backstabbed. You need to address this right away, and tell us that this is all a big misunderstanding.

Andrew
    September 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Hi Dojan, sincere thanks for your passion about MakerBot. Bre is actually slated to speak at the Open Hardware Summit next week here in New York. You can check out his latest post on our blog here and then stay tuned for all the discussion next week. We’ve also invited people to share their thoughts with us: sharing@makerbot.com.

• Bob Fitzpatrick
    September 21, 2012 at 9:18 pm

That’s not an answer, Andrew. Am I the only one disgusted by the new replicator??? Yes you have a bigger build platform. But you nixed the heated build platform! (don’t pretend that pla is truely a Better medium! I don’t like my models dissolving in water!) you wanted to save money. Not to mention, where is the second extruder head?? And you are charging MORE for this than the replicator 1?? I was about to order a replicator and ten I saw the cout down timer. So I figured I would wait. And THIS is what you have?? I am severely dissapointed. I think the makerbot team has grow. Too big for their britches. Where is that vision that you guys started with?? Because you ate starting to look more and more like the “up3d” team…. :(

• jim
    September 23, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Hi Guys,
    Hype sounds great, but I want to use ABS as produces tougher working prototypes. So can your Rep2 be used or x unit modified or upgraded to run with ABS please. Otherwise, apart from better resolution, the earlier replicator looks more versitile for me ultimately.

Look forward to your advise. Jim

• Stuart A
    September 24, 2012 at 5:18 am

Does this one print in 2 colors too?

• tom greeley
    September 24, 2012 at 8:14 am

How much does the replicator 2 cost ,also shipping charges,I live in Dublin Ireland
    Best wishes
    Tom Greeley

• Michael
    September 26, 2012 at 10:46 am

Is it true that Replicator 2 is not upgradable to dual extrusion in the future? I am hesitating buying it due to that information.

• Zach
    October 3, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I agree with Jim. ABS is a must…

• Jerry
    October 12, 2012 at 10:00 am

I agree – ABS would be a great tool for functional proof-of concept parts. Can you please respond to the capability of using ABS or is this not an option without a heated build plate?

Also, is the Replicator 2 available with 2 heads (and appropriate software) so it can have the option to lay support material?

I have the budget approval and I need to make a decision.

• maryann kearney
    November 26, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Do they offer any payment opions

• Gene Stanis
    November 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I am very interested in your product. But I need to have more info. i.e. price. Are there any demos available? Any samples of an item produced? What is the max size (x,y,z)? what software and price? I am a retired engineer and am facinated by this devise. I believe that it may be useful in the arts/crafts that I,m involved in. But i need to get more info.
    Thanks

• T-BO
    December 3, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Can your maker bot 2 material be burned out for the jewellery industry?

• Barnaby
    December 31, 2012 at 11:54 am

Makerbot2 looks interesting but just looking around creates a few questions.
    1. The material used for models is water soluble! Urgh, is that true?
    2. The price. Why the big secret. This is my very first question. Where can I find out how much this thing costs?
    3. Open source, closed source?? Plain English please somebody. What does this mean?
    4. File types? If I create a model in SuperWonderfulModel3dMegaFantastic Pro, what file types should i be exporting for this thing to work?
    5. The previouse question about jewelry burn out was interesting, please answer that question, i too would like to know! (Water soluble question has significance here also).
    Look forward to your answers
    Best regards.

• Chris Fox
    January 8, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I was just about to buy the replicator 2 and I just found out here that it only does PLA. I want to make molds for resin casting, and iphone faceplates.. Water soluble isn’t going ot work for me. I had the CC out an everything.. Now I don’t know what to do????

• JD90
    February 26, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I’m surprised with the misinformation here. PLA is not water soluble. PVA is. The 2X with a second extruder is supposed to allow using PVA as a support material, dissolve the PVA away and you have a part without risking breaking the part to remove the support material. I’m disappointed that Makerbot folks didn’t try to at least clear that up.

• Husam
    May 29, 2013 at 9:50 am

we are a palladium dental trading company
    we are interested abut your 3d printer replicater 2
    and if its will work for a dental model ?
    please advice