Changes To Thingiverse: Beautiful New Renders!

You will notice, starting today, that the Thingiverse team have updated the look of automatic renders of .stl files. And we think you’re gonna like it.

On the left is the old style rendering of a 3D model on Thingiverse. The picture on the right shows the updated version, using Blender as our rendering tool.

Not only do these give you a clearer picture of the Thing, they also reliably show the size of the Thing as modeled. Each square on this grid represents a 1cm square on a build platform. For reference, the build platform for our The Replicator is about 22.5 cm x 14.5 cm.

• J_Hodgie
    August 1, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I was wondering why they looked so good when I saw the new renders on a part I uploaded yesterday

• Perry Engel
    August 3, 2012 at 12:42 pm

The new renders are a big improvement!
    I went back to many of my models and switched to
    that as the default image.

• Nudel
    August 3, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Hats off and respect to POV-Ray for rendering all the previews up until now. ^_^

• Tim Owens
    August 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Agree with everyone, the new renders are gorgeous. I’m insanely curious about the nuts and bolts of how you use Blender on a web server to accomplish that!

• LiquidBeef
    August 3, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Super gorgeous, guys & gals. I’m curious about this though; I accidentally stumbled on the “Thingview” of a thing, and I can’t for the life of me figure out what I clicked to get here:

Please advise! What a great way to get a good look at something before downloading! I’m really impressed.

• SenorrAlmonte
    August 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

I am loving this!!!! Great add

• Jordan
    August 5, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Can we get the .blend file and script you are using, somewhere? Maybe posted as a Thing on Thingiverse? Then other people can make nice renders too!!

thanks!

• TonyS
    August 7, 2012 at 10:42 am

LiquidBeef: In the lower right corner of STL renders you will see a little cube. If you click on the cube, you go to the Thingiview of that thing… like you said, that’s a great way to see things before downloading them!

• gth
    September 12, 2012 at 4:39 am

Thingiverse went down a few times today. Everything okay over there?

I’m assuming the STL image render either takes a while / is manual / is down?

+1 for the thingiview – that’s got some awesome in it (is it SVG?)

PS: I’ve seen a lot of 404 error pages in my time, but I think Thingiverse just topped my list… http://www.thingiverse.com/not-a-real-file

• rob
    October 25, 2012 at 4:24 pm

what Jordan said – can we get more info on how these renders are made? thanks!

• celina
    June 5, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Do these previews render automatically in Thingiverse? How long does it take?