A note on PayPal payments

As some of you may have noticed, the MakerBot Store is no longer accepting PayPal.  This isn’t a temporary glitch; we’re not going to be accepting PayPal for store purchases as we go forward.

While PayPal is a very convenient way to pay, there are some issues with its connection to our online shopping infrastructure that cause various problems for us…and all of these problems end up costing us money.  We looked at the numbers, and we’ve had to make the call to shut it down.

Thanks for understanding, and we apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.  As always, you can contact [email protected] for assistance with payment issues.

Tagged with , 9 comments

• ThePelton
    March 8, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I was planning to use paypal. Is there a land-based address to which we can send a check if we want to purchase your products? I eventually plan on buying a makerbot and maybe the egg decorator as well, just as soon as I get my finances in order.

• Keith Neufeld
    March 8, 2012 at 4:26 pm

For those of us interested in running maker businesses of our own, could you say more about the problems so we don’t have to repeat them ourselves?

• tetnum
    March 8, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Will you be adding a replacement service in the future?

• John Bauer
    March 8, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Until PayPal fixes some basic logic in their payment processing this is a great move.

PayPal will flag your account as limited if you spend more than 50% of your monthly average on a purchase. (Or whatever other logic they choose, I think they choose whatever logic that will make the end user the most upset) After I paid for my Replicator with PayPal the transaction was reversed within an hour. Here’s the catch, they still took the funds out of my bank account and I had to wait 8 days before that transaction was completed and my account was no longer limited. This put the order in a “Pending Payment Review” status on the MakerBot site. In that time they sent me e-mails saying I need to contact them or go to the website to fix my account. I called support, sent e-mails and no one was able to help me or tell me why my payment was reversed. (I used the same confirmed billing, shipping, IP address and bank account I have used for over 6 years!). Finally after the payment was processed I called them and they told me the 50% monthly average rule.

With this business logic if they knew they were going to reject my transaction because of some set limits why wouldn’t they make those calculations and warn me that my funds might be locked up for days? They reversed my payment to MakerBot and still took out the funds anyway. If I would have known about this of course I wouldn’t have used PayPal. Now that the headache is over I have closed my PayPal account and I’m done with them. This wasn’t the first the first headache.

MakerBot has been great through all of this; great support in getting my order completed.

Thanks,
    John

• BuildIt
    March 8, 2012 at 6:19 pm

This is sad. :(

Do you accept e-checks? I was looking at buying a maker bot but do not want to use my credit card directly due to security. Paypal acts as a firewall by not giving a company direct access to my credit card number which can be compromised internally. I’ve had it happen before (lost money) and won’t do business without either a check or Paypal option. Hopefully you can work out some suitable replacement.

• notsohappy
    May 23, 2012 at 7:29 am

Sorry guys. No paypal is a deal breaker. No paypal, no purchase. From now on I’ll have to get my plastics elsewhere.

• Johnny
    December 27, 2012 at 11:49 am

Not understanding at all…

Charge me more if I use paypal. At least give us an option.

• Thor
    April 12, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Do you guys have an update on this? Will you be adding this option back? Or maybe even “Bill Me Later”?

I really would like to upgrade from my Rep 1 to the Rep 2X. But having teh limited options for payment kinda sucks.

• jdpg2
    January 26, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Just had a Gen 5 replicator all queued up but no paypal (bill me later) option means I can’t close the deal… any update on this?

All products in your cart at the time of purchase will qualify for the special financing promotion if purchased with Dell Preferred Account between 11-26-2014 through 12/30/2014.