New and Improved Thingiverse!

Thingiverse has just been re-launched and is even more awesome! Thingiverse is a powerful sharing platform for digital designs where all the content is free and the future is bright.

Back before Thingiverse.com, people were able to download music, movies, and even books, but there was no place to share and download things. Then Thingiverse, a universe of things, was created in 2008 and digital design has never been the same.

Thingiverse users share their digital designs for real things and become superstars to the other users on Thingiverse. Every day, Thingiverse has new things community members have shared. It’s truly amazing. There are thousands of things on Thingiverse, and millions of people visit the site to be inspired by the creativity of Thingiverse users.

And today, there’s a new and improved Thingiverse!

• It’s easier than ever to share your digital designs and be a superstar
  • A new front page giving top billing to the latest featured Thing
  • A new look and better organization for Thing pages and User profiles
  • Simplified Thing editing – it’s all in one place
  • Improved search and navigation make it easier to find what you’re looking for
  • On the backend, we’ve improved the architecture so everything works smoother.
  • Refined features for attribution and derivatives
    • A thing can now have multiple ancestors – bring on the mashups!
    • “I Made a Derivative” button makes it clearer what to do when you make a derivative of another Thing
    • Post those beautiful photos of your prints with the “I Made One!” button
  • The backend of the site has improved to make sharing easier.

Check out the new Thingiverse now! Don’t let your creativite work suffocate with loneliness on your hardrive. Get your designs off your computer and up on Thingiverse. Share your designs today!

Tagged with , 16 comments

• aubenc
    January 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Wow!

• Sublime
    January 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Brutal and unusable. Goodbye thingiverse.

• erikjdurwoodii
    January 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm

yes. YES. A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!

• EmmanuelG
    January 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Ok, some interesting ideas in the new look of thingiverse.
    Like more exemples on the front page, or the upload page in a single page/tab… (and a cool 404)

But my first reaction was to think I had a critical bug in Firefox or the page had problem loading, then when realizing it’s really Thingiverse : “damn”, “nooooo”, “why?”.

I hoped it’s just a test and that’s not the real new version but this post confirm my fear. Sorry for this negative comment, but this identity don’t feel “thingiverse” for me (I’ll try again later to see if I’m adapting).

Please just keep the previous look with the new features, or make littles changes at a time (e.g. Amazon and the one-click-buy button), this one is too brutal ^^’
    (finally it’s maybe just the logo that disappoint me)

• BStott
    January 9, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Sorry, I think the look is kinda sterile compared to the original look. And to my eyes the Thingiverse lettering kinda washes out. Not clear/easy to see. I thought is was easy to see the headings before now they just sort of look …. blah. I’ve not noticed organization yet. Again – Sorry. Not excited.

• EmmanuelG
    January 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Ok, some interesting ideas in the new look of thingiverse.

But my first reaction was to think I had a critical bug in Firefox or the page had problem loading, then when realizing it’s really Thingiverse : “damn”, “nooooo”, “why?”, “ugly”.

I hoped it’s just a test and that’s not the real new version but this post confirm my fear. Sorry for this negative comment, but this identity don’t feel “thingiverse” for me : / (especially the logo).

Please just keep the previous look with the cool new features, or make littles changes at a time (e.g. Amazon and the slow evolution of the one-click-buy button), this one is too brutal ^^’

• BStott
    January 9, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I just noted another point when looking at someone’s posting. It has been shown for years that people’s tendency is to drop vision to left. That is why the way Thingiverse was set was perfect. You could easily read and view the objects of interest. Then if you want to like it or see who else and what not it was on the right where you would make the decision to get involved and make selections. Now those functions are obtrusively placed large and to the left. Making it an effort to view the site. Note: This really isn’t just a habit to the old way, but just how humans function. That old term was ? ergonomic. And the blues on the texts are not comforting or appealing they wash into the white.

Note: I AM A BIG FAN OF THE FAB 3 + ALL AT MBI. I own two TOMs #0003675 & 0003253 and I dork out amazing people by carrying around pocket toys to show off and brag about MBI and Thingiverse! :-)

• chris ponciano
    January 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Site is looking good, needed an update, great job!

• chris ponciano
    January 9, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Site is looking good, needed an update, great job! keep up the good work.

• sparkysd
    January 9, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I agree with EmmanuelG’s comments above.

Firstly, I want to say that I love the MBI products and I am a huge fan of the Thingiverse, but please go back to the previous version of the website, before you ruin something that was truly awesome.

Here’s my overall impressions of the site re-design, as well as some specific suggestions for improvement :

1) The new site looks plain and clumsy on Google Chrome, especially when the page is scaled up. The text on the home page is all over the place, overlapping other text or being covered up by images. The “Upload A Thing” button appears and disappears at different zoom levels. Same thing happens on FireFox.

2) The previous layout was much better and is much more intuitive. It should have all the important stuff displayed (or linked to) above the page fold, so you don’t have to scroll down all the way to the bottom. Just look at the Apple or Amazon sites to see this.

3) The narrow (3/8) column width for the Thing description is practically unreadable and leads to very tall columns with half the page blank, which looks really bad. Use 3/4 or full width for Thing Descriptions and Instructions (i.e. for large amounts of free text).

4) The new site is agonizingly slow to load – 15 secs per page. I assume this is a server issue.

5) The blue Thingiverse logo – really ? It looks like the font is far too crowded and out of focus – it’s just plain boring and ugly. The Thingiverse needs a logo that is unique, recognizable, scaleable and that makes everyone say Wow ! The grey text (“a Makerbot Industries Website”) detracts from the logo and should be removed.

6) The quick page navigation numbers are great and should be displayed up at the top of the pages, as well as at the bottom.

7) What happened to the “I Like It” mini-thumbprint size avatars ? Way down at the bottom of the page – that’s a shame. It was way better when they were up on the right hand side next to the Thing Image and Description and Instructions. Then you see immediately if the Thing was popular or not. Perhaps putting a “I Like It” counter on each Thing would be helpful.

8) Please get rid of the adverts on the right hand side as they completely detract from look and feel of the site. The adverts on the bottom are enough.

When you have a ‘social’ website with this many visitors, it’s well worth contracting out the site framework to a digital agency (e.g. digitaria.com, blitz, 360i, etc ) to make Thingiverse really come alive.

I really hope that these comments are seen as helpful and constructive criticism.
    Go MakerBot Go !!

• zgbot
    January 9, 2012 at 8:21 pm

having a hard time with this change.

having all of the pertinent info crammed into the lower left of the page is really hard to figure out.

also agree that there is too many crappy google text ads per page. (2 was tolerable, 3 is pushing it.) if they were banner ads it might be ok but 5 links per banner and the page looks like crap.

the featured things is nice and all but they dont change often enough to justify taking up the whole page (you have to scroll down to see anything now) I bet 90% of your viewers have to look at these things over and over and have to scroll down every time they load the front page. that is a hassle.

i can live with all these problems but putting everything on the left side of the page is really had to deal with. and i assume that i will not be browsing through objects like i used to or spending as much time on the site.

• ghostfish
    January 10, 2012 at 12:02 am

The feature additions are awesome, but the appearance changes are a step in the wrong direction in my opinion, both aesthetically and from a usability perspective. Some specific feedback follows.

1) I agree with others that the new logo is harder to read and sort of gets lost at the top of the page, maybe because the font is so tall and narrow? It’s also rather generic looking, like Microsoft word art.
    2) The featured item being front and center is good, but it does push all other content off the screen, I’m not sure that’s a good thing.
    3) The “created by” banner that covers the thing pictures when you hover over them is a huge detriment to usability. When I mouse over a picture, it’s almost always because I want to click the picture to be taken to that thing’s page. I can’t click on the banner to do that, which is annoying. I have to move my mouse and click a second time if I happened to attempt to click on the bottom third of the picture the banner occupies. Worse, it’s redundant information, since the creator is listed below the thing anyway. This is probably my #1 issue with the new design.
    4) The pages accessed by clicking on “Who’s making what” should follow the design of the thing pages, namely, pictures on the left and user information on the right, if for no other reason than visual consistency.
    5) I like that the file download links are no longer buried way at the bottom of the page below the comments. In fact, the whole light blue background column on the left of the thing pages is excellent. I think it’s a great centralization of the important information about the object itself.
    6) Since the layout has two content columns and a third advertisement column, the central column is too narrow to read easily, maybe change the column ad into a banner? Basically, that column advertisement has to go. It’s too crowded like this.

• max mulholland
    January 10, 2012 at 1:24 am

its rather user hostile and not all that attractive. it is much harder to find things on the new site.

• aubenc
    January 10, 2012 at 2:41 am

I understand, and think it must be welcome, all the feedback above, some of the comments were also my 1st impression too, however…

…I do not agree.

Once taken the time to get used, and it wasn’t so much time, I do love the new thingiverse.

Ok, may be, the adverts at the bottom would be nice, I have them blocked and then I get an empty space at the right side but it’s the same than browsing other sites, so I have no problems with it.

The narrow middle column at the top with the designer, if it’s a derivative,… takes precious space for long descriptions but when the description fits in the screen without scrolling down looks just gorgeous, may be we (at least me) just need to learn to write a good description that fits into that space 😉

Please do not ask the services to a digital agency!

As I already said…

WOW!

• perry (neoteric)
    January 10, 2012 at 8:08 am

I disagree with the detractors, and I am an expert on ergonomic design on the web.

The new site is much better. When you look at an item, it’s entire personality is there.

Its history, derivatives, etc. are all easy to see. Comments and the like are well placed.

This is a much, much better design BY FAR.

Nice Work.

One wish, being able to search for comments I have made in the past on items, so I can rejoin any dialogue I am in without having to remember which items I had commented on. Very important.

• tom de vrieze
    January 10, 2012 at 8:45 am

the previous version was better, much easier to work with, and not so crowded,
    hopefully it is not a preview to change the makerbot site into somehting similar.

Finance with Affirm

How does Affirm work?

Buy now with Affirm and pay over time. It’s simple financing that fits your life.

Monthly Payments

Pay over time with Affirm and split your purchase into 3, 6, or 12 monthly payments. Rates from 10-30% APR.

Easy Checkout

Select the Affirm payment option when you check out and provide some basic information to get instantly approved.