MakerBot + Sugru = Heart

YouTube Preview Image

Annelise made an awesome  video that showcases fun things she’s done with sugru in the last few days- we can’t wait to see what our users come up with!

Tagged with , , 10 comments

MakerBlock
    November 17, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Yay! Love this video!!!

Miles
    November 17, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Sweet video!

Is the wheel stamp printed or Sugru?

• Timmytool
    November 18, 2011 at 7:47 am

miles it looks to me like its ABS but you could create a negative image print and stamp the logo into the Sugru for a true Sugru stamp. Spray the ABS negative image with a spray(cooking spray?) to stop it from sticking while pressing it in if necessary.

• jane
    November 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Hi Annelise, great video! I especially love the idea of making custom rubber stamps!

@Miles – my understanding is that the stamp was made by pressing in makerbot printed parts into the sugru – to stop the abs sticking to the sugru just wet it with some soapy water as a release agent.

There are so many possibilities with that actually! For people to print the negative of their names / logos / designs and then make rubber stamps… but that’s just desktop. You could also make larger rubber stamps for printing patterned paper and textiles – we need a makerbot here in the sugru studio to play with!

Jane.

• AJ
    November 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I’m sure it’s been suggested before, but can you extrude sugru?

MakerBlock
      November 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm

@AJ: I suspect not – once exposed to air it starts to harden. So, it would probably require a sealed container that would need to be pressurized in a similar fashion to the frostruders. If flexible printed objects is your thing, you could always print a mold and place the sugru inside to get the form. Alternatively, I think there are some plastics that can be extruded that will have more flex/rubber like qualities to them.

• iworkinpixels
    November 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm

@Miles: We made the stamp by creating a negative of the shape that we wanted, then forcing sugru into the print. I don’t think any release agent was even used, but I would recommend it when making your own stamps.

• Zh4x0r
    November 28, 2011 at 4:56 am

Awesome video! I’ll have to pick up some sugru!

One request though: Could you (Makerbot blogging team) start posting thingiverse links to the parts and such that you use in videos and stuff? (maybe even just through the “I made one” on thingiverse, or posting a comment on the Thingiverse thing page with a link to the article?) I know there are a lot of parts, but as a designer, I always like to know when someone uses a part I created (Case in point, your wonderful addition of feet to my salt/pepper pig!)

I think all the stuff you guys (and girls) do is awesome! Just wish I’d seen this sooner :-)

• How to mold precise rubber parts with sugru | sugru | hack things better
    December 12, 2011 at 1:02 pm

[...] seen someone make with sugru so far, and we’re looking forward to sharing with our friends at Makerbot and the Thingiverse [...]

• Sugru: Hand-Formable, Air-Curing, Magic Goo | Toolmonger
    February 15, 2012 at 4:35 pm

[...] also the darling of the square-glasses crowd right now, featured prominently in Boing Boing, Make, and so on. But replace the pop-talk term “hack” with “modify” and [...]