MakerBot Introduces 3D Printable Vinyl Records

After months of intensive research and development, MakerBot Industries is proud to announce a newly realized capacity of the MakerBot Thing-O-Matic 3D Printer- the ability to print listenable vinyl records from the desktop.

“The process of transcribing an audio file into a vinyl record is so simple, anyone can do it.” Said Chief Audio Engineer Isaac Dietz. “Right now, I’m using the Automated Build Platform to rip my entire MP3 collection to individual records!”

“It’s an exciting innovation for MakerBot, as we all grew up listening to vinyl. We all wish that more records were available with the latest hits,” said Audio R&D Associate Marisol Murphy. “I can never get enough Justin Bieber or Rebecca Black until I listened to them on my turntable.”

The process utilizes the MakerBot 96khz AudioNozzle™ technology to print audio waveforms in real time. Using the MakerBot Generation 4 Electronics microstepping capacity, the AudioNozzle™ modulates the amount of plastic deposited to create a high-fidelity waveform. The results often surpass the dynamic range of 24-bit recordings and can contain frequencies up to 57khz — even higher than the Nyquist frequency for 96khz digital recording. You can even record directly to your 3D Printer by attaching a microphone to your computer, and singing into it.

Says Ethan Hartman, Vice President of Audio Operations: “MakerBot’s pioneering spirit has always hearkened back to early inventors like Thomas Edison. We are honored to be able to re-invent the audio record for the personal manufacturing space in the burgeoning 20-teens.”

Pre-orders for the 96khz AudioNozzle™ will be available shortly.

MakerBot 3D Printed Vinyl Records can be downloaded from Thingiverse here.

Tagged with , , , , , , , , , 19 comments

• JB
    April 1, 2011 at 10:57 am

NWICE.

• Adrian
    April 1, 2011 at 11:18 am

Aww, you got me all excited before I realised the date, sigh…

… I think you may have inadvertently set the bar, however.

• monki
    April 1, 2011 at 11:40 am

Would work well with noise music :)

• Tx-0
    April 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm

This is the perfect complement to Ripping Vinyl Via Your Scanner

• Tony
    April 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Ahhhhh! Rick Rolled again!

• disappointed
    April 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm

This video is unavailable in your country. >:(

• Ed
    April 1, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Man, I total fell for that until the music started.

• HanSolo
    April 1, 2011 at 7:15 pm

:( I was so gonna buy it. Those things look like crap anyway lol

• coasterman
    April 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I totally fell for it. Good one.

But I still see a totally new nozzle in that picture.

• BMackenzie
    April 1, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I love it. It prompted some serious though on how to encode data in 3D printing. Also interesting to see your basement lab in the background of the video, complete with the old fire door on a slanted track. Anybody want to help us print a Mars spacecraft for launch next April 1st ? -Bruce, MarsHome.org

• Erik
    April 2, 2011 at 8:01 am

LOL! Very well made video!! Nice to see familiar faces again :)

• Gerrit Coetzee
    April 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

Whao, you guys have a thermal camera? Could I get video captures of the makerbot HBP cooling and heating cycles? I am doing research on it. Currently I am seeing a 10C drop from one side to the other (Which I think is due to airflow from my desktop computer). I have a setup with a thermocouple, but it’s not nearly as good as a camera. I’d like to compare the data I get with the live data.

Here’s some pics of my ghetto setup and the data that I’ve gotten:

Next is to make a data logger and automate the process. I have some MAX6675 chips and an arduino. I’ll make the makerbot move in a grid pattern and fill an excel sheet with data. Then I’ll use a combination of matlab and python to work it out.

My end hope is to find locally/commercially available insulation to stabilize the temperature. I also want to see the effect of different build platform covers.

• Kermonk
    April 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm

So, when can it make DVD’s? :)

• Unknown
    April 4, 2011 at 6:41 am

Cannot see the video!

Error: This video contains content from SME, it is not available in your country.

Thank you SME!

• Lepus Draconis (The Drabbit) by tbuser - MakerBot Industries
    April 5, 2011 at 8:20 am

[...] well, April 1st was last Friday, and that’s not true.  Actually the closest I’ve ever seen to this was [...]

• Robot Hospital! Episode 6 - MakerBot Industries
    April 8, 2011 at 7:40 pm

[...] week’s Robot Hospital is not as groundbreaking as last week’s announcement, but we still have some good stuff for you.  There’s a Thingiverse round up with our [...]

• skupena
    November 9, 2011 at 4:33 am

Laugh now… but you know, someday someone is going to do this for real.

• 5 Wild Ways to Use 3-D Printing
    March 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm

[...] range of products emerging from 3-D printing processes is as unusual as the way they are made: from vinyl records to human [...]

• fastm3driver
    July 30, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Gerrit Coetzee
    This has always amazed me why no one puts these cheaper 3D printers into a box. Like a little refrigerator or something. All commercial 3D printers contain the build area in a temperature controlled chamber.

Open Support Case