Gothic Cathedral Play Set Time Lapse Video

We have finally gotten around to printing out a Botcave “hall of fame” sample for one of the most impressive items on ThingiverseGothic Cathedral Play Set designed by Michael Curry (Skimbal). This time lapse video also features a first experiment in “Build Platform POV” post-production hackery.  Created by Matt Griffin, with help from Bre, Dave, and Tim Bartlett.

Error - could not find Thing 2030.

• Dave Durant
    February 8, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Wow! That’s a pretty epic Thing to print – congrats!!

• Carmiac
    February 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Did my eyes fool me, or did I see a stepper motor driving that extruder???

• JadeKnight
    February 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm

That does indeed appear to be a stepper driving the MK5. Zoomed into the video at 0:49, and I see 4 wires on the left going into the motor behind the drive gear.

• 3defect
    February 8, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Nice video, how did you track the build platform? Mocha?

• Dave Durant
    February 8, 2011 at 7:08 pm

The 4 wires coming out of the back sorta gave it away. That and it being a different shape than a DC motor. :)

It’s still an epic print and whoever dialed it in and made it through that Thing deserves props..

• Stan
    February 8, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I’m very impressed that the thin supports at the top showed up at all. On my Cupcake, those turned into a stringy, blobby mess.

• Twotimes
    February 8, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Hey, they forgot to print the back of it!

• Tweets that mention Gothic Cathedral Play Set Time Lapse Video - MakerBot Industries -- Topsy.com
    February 9, 2011 at 10:13 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Bre Pettis, Eric Skiff, Anu M, Orange Computer, Chris Raab and others. Chris Raab said: RT @bre: MakerBot Time Lapse! (Cathedral!) http://bit.ly/flvjmL […]

Matt
    February 9, 2011 at 10:46 am

Heheh. I’ve been enjoying these comments and can’t post regarding certain equipment that may or may not be in use in this vid. I experimented with some manual tracking — picking two points for every frame by hand so it has that nice jello-wy organic feel to it. (I was using a compositor package, not AE+Mocca in this case, though that would have been a great way to do this.) If I had lighted it more brightly and evenly, I could have used Mocca or similar to grab auto points. I’m afraid I had to brute-force the match over many many many hours.

• Thaed
    February 9, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I suspect we just got a view of the MK6. Want!

• coasterman
    February 9, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Stepper driven MK6! I want one!!
    Very impressive print. And did I see a wide belt? It appears the belt covers the entire platform, unlike on the current ToMs, whose belts appear to be 10mm or so short of what they should be :( .

• Watch this 3D printer make a tiny Gothic cathedral | gilawistle
    February 10, 2011 at 5:38 am

[…] via Makerbot Blog […]

• Chooch
    February 10, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Hurray for direct drive stepping!

• Gotische Kirche mit MakerBot ausdrucken | 3Druck - alles über 3D-Drucker und Digital Fabricator
    February 11, 2011 at 7:46 am

[…] zeigt auf deren Blog wie sie mit einer Vorlage von Michael Curry, die bei Thingiverse kostenlos erhältlich ist, ein […]

• Sito
    February 27, 2011 at 8:36 am

Hi guys, especially Matt,
    I tried hard to figure out what music you chose for the soundtrack – no success, yet. Even Shazam shows no results. It’s driving me crazy. Could you, or somebody else, help me, please?
    Sito

Finance with Affirm

How does Affirm work?

Buy now with Affirm and pay over time. It’s simple financing that fits your life.

Monthly Payments

Pay over time with Affirm and split your purchase into 3, 6, or 12 monthly payments. Rates from 10-30% APR.

Easy Checkout

Select the Affirm payment option when you check out and provide some basic information to get instantly approved.