Gothic Cathedral Play Set Time Lapse Video

We have finally gotten around to printing out a Botcave “hall of fame” sample for one of the most impressive items on ThingiverseGothic Cathedral Play Set designed by Michael Curry (Skimbal). This time lapse video also features a first experiment in “Build Platform POV” post-production hackery.  Created by Matt Griffin, with help from Bre, Dave, and Tim Bartlett.

Error - could not find Thing 2030.

• Dave Durant
    February 8, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Wow! That’s a pretty epic Thing to print – congrats!!

• Carmiac
    February 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Did my eyes fool me, or did I see a stepper motor driving that extruder???

• JadeKnight
    February 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm

That does indeed appear to be a stepper driving the MK5. Zoomed into the video at 0:49, and I see 4 wires on the left going into the motor behind the drive gear.

• 3defect
    February 8, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Nice video, how did you track the build platform? Mocha?

• Dave Durant
    February 8, 2011 at 7:08 pm

The 4 wires coming out of the back sorta gave it away. That and it being a different shape than a DC motor. :)

It’s still an epic print and whoever dialed it in and made it through that Thing deserves props..

• Stan
    February 8, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I’m very impressed that the thin supports at the top showed up at all. On my Cupcake, those turned into a stringy, blobby mess.

• Twotimes
    February 8, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Hey, they forgot to print the back of it!

• Tweets that mention Gothic Cathedral Play Set Time Lapse Video - MakerBot Industries -- Topsy.com
    February 9, 2011 at 10:13 am

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Bre Pettis, Eric Skiff, Anu M, Orange Computer, Chris Raab and others. Chris Raab said: RT @bre: MakerBot Time Lapse! (Cathedral!) http://bit.ly/flvjmL [...]

Matt
    February 9, 2011 at 10:46 am

Heheh. I’ve been enjoying these comments and can’t post regarding certain equipment that may or may not be in use in this vid. I experimented with some manual tracking — picking two points for every frame by hand so it has that nice jello-wy organic feel to it. (I was using a compositor package, not AE+Mocca in this case, though that would have been a great way to do this.) If I had lighted it more brightly and evenly, I could have used Mocca or similar to grab auto points. I’m afraid I had to brute-force the match over many many many hours.

• Thaed
    February 9, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I suspect we just got a view of the MK6. Want!

• coasterman
    February 9, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Stepper driven MK6! I want one!!
    Very impressive print. And did I see a wide belt? It appears the belt covers the entire platform, unlike on the current ToMs, whose belts appear to be 10mm or so short of what they should be :( .

• Watch this 3D printer make a tiny Gothic cathedral | gilawistle
    February 10, 2011 at 5:38 am

[...] via Makerbot Blog [...]

• Chooch
    February 10, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Hurray for direct drive stepping!

• Gotische Kirche mit MakerBot ausdrucken | 3Druck - alles über 3D-Drucker und Digital Fabricator
    February 11, 2011 at 7:46 am

[...] zeigt auf deren Blog wie sie mit einer Vorlage von Michael Curry, die bei Thingiverse kostenlos erhältlich ist, ein [...]

• Sito
    February 27, 2011 at 8:36 am

Hi guys, especially Matt,
    I tried hard to figure out what music you chose for the soundtrack – no success, yet. Even Shazam shows no results. It’s driving me crazy. Could you, or somebody else, help me, please?
    Sito