MakerBot Cupcake CNC Sale!

The MakerBot Cupcake CNC is our flagship product. We’re getting ready to launch a new 3D printer and so we’re putting the Cupcake on sale. These are great kits and a great way to get into 3D printing. A MakerBot has never been this cheap!

MakerBot Cupcake Ultimate Kit: Over the last year we’ve released a number of additional upgrades to the kit and the Cupcake Ultimate kit contains the best. It comes with the MK5 Plastruder and the Automated Build Platform. If you want to explore 3D printing, this is a rock solid kit with all the reliability of the latest upgrades.

MakerBot Cupcake Starter Kit: This is a kit that has what you need to get started in 3D printing and nothing more. It comes with an XYZ positioning system, an acrylic build platform. This is a great building block of 3D printing to get you started and it’s now super cheap at $649!

Neither of these kits comes with the Filament Spindle Box Kit. If you’re going to get into 3D printing you’re going to eventually want one of these. We suggest you add one to your order no matter which kit you get.

These kits come as-is and because we’ve slashed prices, there are no returns, exchanges, or guarantees.

• beak90
    September 22, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Awesome! Can’t wait for the new printer to be announced!

• AndrewL
    September 22, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Wow, the price was about $1300 to get all the stuff that’s now in the ultimate kit for $900! If only I didn’t have to pay rent with this paycheck…

• Sveinn
    September 22, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Gah! Do I pick up an Ultimate kit or wait for the new one????

On one hand, I’ve been looking at picking up what makes up the Ultimate kit for a while, so I know this is a great deal. On the other hand, I’d really like to know what the new printer is going to be. Would it completely obsolete an Ultimate Cupcake and make me regret not waiting? On the gripping hand, I can likely use a Cupcake to upgrade itself into the new printer at some point, if the printable Cupcake is any indication.

I can’t decide! Ahh!!

• Spacxula
    September 22, 2010 at 8:55 pm

I really didn’t expect you to drop the price point that much, awesome!

• tmophoto
    September 22, 2010 at 9:48 pm

now that is a good deal

• Martin
    September 22, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Ugh!!! I keep seeing the price go down and I haven’t even gotten the one that i paid over a grand for to put out a single print! It might be less frustrating if the documentation was better, but it’s been an unending chain of frustrating (undocumented) issues.

That said, it’s been a great learning experience well worth $650. I just hope that some day it’ll actually — you know — print stuff.

• Tony
    September 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Will the new model be for sale at Maker Faire?? :)

• tmophoto
    September 22, 2010 at 11:55 pm

is this the end of the cupcake era? or will the next just be a bigger machine to add to the lineup?

• Feilen
    September 23, 2010 at 3:50 am

Looks like the cupcakes are going out alltogether. Hmm, not so sure I wanna buy just yet now…

• Unbelievable deal on Cupcake CNC’s | MakerBlock
    September 23, 2010 at 4:56 am

[...] MakerBot is getting ready to launch a new 3D printer and is putting their Cupcake CNC’s on sale.  I’ve had an absolute blast with my MakerBot over the last nine months.  I bought the [...]

• GodfatherUr
    September 23, 2010 at 7:45 am

I was ready to buy but now am hesitant. Will this model no longer be supported? What if I experience hardware failures, will there be a way to get replacement parts? Would it be best to wait for the announcement of the new machine? Speaking of the new machine, will the print quality be improved on the new model? If that is the case, I will most definitely be waiting for that one :) Not sure what is the best thing to do at the moment… any advice?

• Makerbot 3D Printer on Sale! « Ponoko – Blog
    September 23, 2010 at 9:17 am

[...] Via Makerbot Industries [...]

• tmo
    September 23, 2010 at 12:13 pm

you can get replacement parts for everything in a cupcake at mcmaster carr, SDPSI and a few other places

if part of the frame breaks you can download the file and get a new one laser cut. everything is open so you will have no problems getting parts. you might not be able to get them from makerbot but i am sure you will be able to keep it running and even be able to improve it.

• Feilen
    September 23, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Oh you can definately replace it or fix it, but it would still be obsolete. I was going to buy a makerbot this Friday after months of saving up, and then this announcement XD

I wish they would give a bit more information! No clue what to do but wait patiently for them to say something about this new printer and what they’ll do with the cupcake design.

• tmo
    September 23, 2010 at 4:15 pm

its not obsolete if it still does what you want it to do. both of my cupcakes will be printing for a very long time to come and have printed literally pounds and pounds of things that i have wanted/needed. just because there is a newer better possibly more expensive one does not mean that a cupcake is obsolete. you can get incredible resolution and speed out of a slightly upgraded cupcake and its proven to be reliable if it is put together correctly.

all references of “sale” have been removed from the store. I really hope that makerbot can keep selling the cupcake. its an absolute incredible value at the price they are currently selling them for and that 500$ price point is getting ever closer.

i would say that anything makerbot sells is never really obsolete since you know how its made, what its made with, and you can always make it better. you cant do that with a commercial machine.

• charles
    September 23, 2010 at 5:28 pm

is it just me or are the makerbot forum and ‘contact us’ form both busted?

• A NEW printer??? - MakerBot Industries
    September 24, 2010 at 6:01 am

[...] Wednesday Bre revealed MakerBot has a new printer in the works. 1  Frankly, I have a tough time imagining what a new printer would be like. 2  With an [...]

• Feilen
    September 24, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Well my patience was stretched at about a day in. Bought the starter kit :D Actually, with the speed people on Thingiverse come up with printable alternatives, I can probably use the Cupcake to print parts for this new printer, saving some money. I actually think I’m going to end up buying more than one printer anyway, and getting one cheap like this is a rare oppurtunity.