As the Apple I is to the iPhone, so the MakerBot is to the ????

Philip Steffan
runs an interesting space starting up in Berlin called Open Design City, and he gave a presentation about MakerBot at the first Ignite in Berlin!

• versonova
    April 22, 2010 at 4:21 pm

this correlation is awesome! My Thoughts exactly….

• Philip Steffan
    April 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Thanks for the link! Two afterthoughts:

I did not come up with the comparison of the Makerbot to the early home computers; I just read it somewhere on the net. So, standing on the shoulders all the way.

Secondly, I left Studio70 in the hands of my colleagues and became a part of Open Design City, an awesome new hackerspace-fablab-thingy at Berlin’s largest coworking space, betahaus.

Bre Pettis
    April 22, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Ok, thanks Philip, I changed the post!

• Brandon O.
    April 23, 2010 at 3:38 am

Hello,

I really respect your passion for process improvement. This philosophy may be too early for its time, but I sure hope it goes that way. Have you heard anything for increasing the capacity or the dimensional capabilities. I work for a moving company and we pay so much for rapid prototyping a cast and mold and it is still a long lead time for that. We make a ton of prototype pieces that would work if it could do 5x5x8. This is truly a new trend, personal fabrication.

• Rashad Glover
    April 24, 2010 at 9:48 am

Great Job Phillip! Im thinking about presenting my to the engineering students at Central State University and Wilberforce University the same way you did if I can stop braking my bot.

• And a Quarter Gets You Coffee » Blog Archive » “Just One Word: RepRap”
    April 26, 2010 at 1:50 am

[...] seems to me (and others) that the RepRap is very much like an Altair 8800. The Altair 8800 was the first microcomputer that [...]

• Dominic Muren
    May 7, 2010 at 12:19 am

Although, let’s hope that as the makerbot gets more awesomer, it continues to be more hackable, not less. Case in point, the apple 1 (or the apple 11, for that matter, my horse of choice at Gubser Elementery School) had parts that you could swap out, mod out, hell, you could probably even replace them with pieces from your toaster is they got broken. The iPhone is a far cry from this level of transparancy/plasticity. Remember, the makerbot sucks, resolutionwise compared to a Stratisys & Co. But we love it because it kicks Those other machine’s closed a#ses :) Here’s to an open future.

• What is a functional obsolete machine worth? - MakerBot Industries
    November 24, 2010 at 3:18 pm

[...] have been a number of comparisons between early Apple DIY computers and the MakerBot Cupcake DIY 3D printer.  Well, an Apple 1 just sold for more than [...]

• Andy
    August 23, 2012 at 5:17 am

Is to the UP! Sure glad I waited.

Open Support Case