Interview with a Cathedral Maker, Michael Curry

parts_spread_out_display_medium

Michael Curry didn’t want to spend centuries building a cathedral the old fashioned way, so he made his own Makerbottable cathedral! I was curious about it and asked him some questions.

How did you design this? What program did you use and what was your strategy for breaking it into parts?

The Cathedral is modeled in the free version of Google Sketchup, and exported using a free stl plugin. Inspiration comes from the gothic cathedrals of Europe, with Leon Cathedral in northwest Spain serving as the primary source for the front and transept façades. But the Gothic Cathedral Play Set is intended to be a generic model of the style, not a representation of any one building.

The size of the blocks is dictated by two things, the proportions of the cathedral and the maximum print size of the Makerbot.

To make the proportions work with the module, each part for the Nave includes one full window and two half windows. This way the parts fit together properly and form the correct shape. The Nave dictates the proportions for all the other blocks. The parts will fit together in any configuration, because each part has at least one face that will match any other in the set.

As for the size, the limiting factor is the height of the Makerbot build chamber. Most of the prints end just before the z-stage runs into the top of the machine.

How long did it take? What was the hardest part?

Printing took about four weeks, and had its frustrating moments.

I designed and printed one part at time, which sounds more arduous than it was. There are only 7 parts, 3 of which get mirrored to make their partner. That cut down on modeling and simplifies the digital end of the project.

When printing something tall in the Makerbot the extruder puts a lot of torque on the top layers of the part. It has a tendency to knock the build platform off its base. I lowered the travel speed and used rubber bands to jury-rig a securing system, this way when the part got knocked off I had a chance to grab it an put it back on. There were some white knuckle moments, but we made it through. To everyone hoping to make their own cathedral, remember, failed prints are cheap, but the final result is worth it.

What was your motivation for this?

My background is in architecture, not technology. So this is my contribution to the Makerbot effort. I want people to realize what is possible with the equipment we have now, before they start dreaming about what we can’t do yet.

This is what is possible without a support material. Gothic architecture is driven by the limitations of unreinforced masonry construction. Each stone in a cathedral is supported only by the stones below it. The style is defined not by a desire for a certain look, but by the limitations of the 12th century construction technology. It is the perfect analogue for what an unsupported 3d printer can do. We can achieve incredible results even with basic limitations.

What’s next?

Right now, I’m baking a key lime pie. After that… Well I’ve got a few things I’m working on. I don’t like to share until I know they’re ready. I will say I recently acquired a big box of springs… Just keep watching Thingiverse.

Thanks Michael! We can’t wait to see what you do next!

• =ml=
    March 21, 2010 at 5:13 am

Hey Michael,

Epic work! Did you use a heated build palatform?

Go!

=ml=

• BigFan
    March 21, 2010 at 8:48 am

Any chance of getting a photo with something that could provide scale? A quarter, a dollar bill, a human hand. I can tell if this thing is 2 inches tall or 12 inches (~ 6 inch nave part + 6 inch steeple)

Incredible work!

• Rashad Glover
    March 21, 2010 at 11:31 am

Mike you have inspired me. All I need now is a Makerbot :) I think im going to do my whole campus. I drew it years ago but now its time to print it :0

• Sharon
    March 21, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I love the thinking that says, “I have a 3D printer that doesn’t use a support material. What kind of architecture works with unsupported masonry?” Instead of being constrained by limitations, you’re embracing the nature of the medium. Brilliant. And the result is magnificent.

• Lion King Broadway Tickets | Broadway Tickets Lion King Right at your Doorstep Now!
    May 2, 2010 at 7:44 am

[...] Interview w&#1110th a Cathedral Maker, Michael Curry – MakerBot Industries [...]

• Pretty Girls :
    October 29, 2010 at 11:26 am

i tink that Lion King should also be considered as one the best animated films on the market “

• NLP Techniques
    November 16, 2010 at 10:42 am

i would say that Lion King is one of the best animated films that i have ever watched ‘;:

• The Christmas Lego Men of Kansas City by Skimbal - MakerBot Industries
    December 23, 2010 at 12:01 pm

[...] may already remember Michael Curry, aka Skimbal on Thingiverse, from his epic Cathedral Play Set or his rubber band design challenge [...]

• Making Your Own LEGO Bricks « A Modular Life
    December 31, 2010 at 8:58 am

[...] minifigs size x 4) and shared his blue prints. Looks good don’t you think?  By Michael Curry, aka Skimbal, more pics in his Picasa page.  Blue prints for the minifigs here in his [...]