MakerBot Watch Alpha Prototype Kit

MakerBotWatchFront

It’s a open source affordable and fashionable watch that is can run the arduino platform. Win!

I’ve wanted to have an arduino style watch in my pocket and I got my friend Raphael to teach me how to use Eagle CAD and I did it! I also got lots of help from Adam and Zach and Charles and Liz and Ryan and the NYCResistor community to pull this together!

I ordered a bunch of prototype boards and I’ve made them into 18 kits to just get them out there in the world and get friends playing with them. This is for alpha users because it is realllllly hard! I have soldered up 4 of them and 3 of them had major solder bridges that made me swear a lot. Be prepared for a serious smd challenge! They are super cheap at $30 which is basically cost of parts because I know they are hard to make and I just want to get them out to the smd ninjas out there. The assembled watch is going to cost significantly more!

Here’s the google group for it. If you get one, you really really really need to join!
Here’s the wiki documentation. Please add and modify!
Here’s the link to the MakerBot Store.
Thingiverse URL

Watch with prototype acrylic

I made a lasercut housing for fun and the design is up on Thingiverse. The kit does not include that! Also cr2032 battery not included! There isn’t much code written for it yet!

Nick Starno is working on a MakerBottable pocketwatch housing which he’ll publish soon.

We’re going to go into production on these, so if you don’t want to do smd soldering, don’t worry, just be patient and you can order one assembled in the new year.

• daniel
    December 8, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Just ordered the kit today… only I have finals till Dec. 16th, so it may be a while before I can participate. Excited to get crackin on this thing!

• Mike
    December 8, 2009 at 8:20 pm

If you do another round of kits, count me in.

For the case, a pocket watch instead of a wrist watch would also be cool.

• brett
    December 9, 2009 at 8:40 am

It looks like they are out of stock (noooooo!!). Will there be another round of kits? I’d very much like to get my hands on one of these to try and get a POV mode working.

• Jonathan
    December 9, 2009 at 11:06 am

Out of stock already?
    I should have jumped to it when I first saw the post, too bad :(

I suppose it’ll leave me more time to actually complete one of my other projects…

• Peek at Bre’s MakerBot watch | SquareCows
    December 9, 2009 at 2:26 pm

[...] has posted an item about the MakerBot watch he’s been working on. He’s selling some prototype kits really cheap ($30) to get them [...]

• Ryan O'Hara
    December 9, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Man, you all need to use some kapton stencils for this. Drop me a line and I can provide you some material or some stencils for free! Trust me you will never go back to doing this by hand afterwards.

• Rich
    December 10, 2009 at 5:40 pm

I’m confused, are there parts on this watch that are printed on the MakerBot?

• John_NY
    December 27, 2009 at 7:03 pm

This is one of the neatest nerd badges I’ve seen. I’ll be looking for the kit :)
    One of the key digital watch performance parameters is battery life. I’d expect it to consume batteries more like an Arduino than a Timex, but I’m not sure what that would mean for CR2032 batteries. Does anyone have experience with battery life of this watch? How often do you need to change the battery?

• katie price sex tape
    May 18, 2010 at 10:33 am

Nice, Cheapest katie price sex tape [url=http://katiepricesextape.tumblr.com/#1]Cheapest katie price sex tape[/url], 660,

• Weekly Digest for August 20th « The StrangeMinds of SmilyBorg
    August 20, 2010 at 9:01 am

[...] Shared MakerBot Watch Alpha Prototype Kit – MakerBot Industries. [...]

All products in your cart at the time of purchase will qualify for the special financing promotion if purchased with Dell Preferred Account between 11-26-2014 through 12/30/2014.